Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magda or Ronde de Nice

Posted by barbge 4 MN (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 10:29

Has anybody grown both of the squash in the subject? If so, please compare and contrast. I need to pick one, but can't decide which. Both look appealing to me. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magda or Ronde de Nice

I like them both but for different reasons. The ronde de Nice is nice for stuffing for a single serving size, it produces well but seems to be favored by squash bugs in my area (which is both good and bad, good because it can draw them from other plants). I enjoy the flavor and texture of the magda as a more multipurpose type zucchini. The Ronde's seemed to be a smaller bush so if space was a limitation, I would take that into consideration.

o

Magda is a very nice Lebanese type zucchini , good producer. I prefer the flavor to a standard green zucchini. Ronde de Nice is nice round green zucchini. An OP so it more susceptible to diseases. Not competitive with the round zucchini hybrids like Eight Ball, Black Ball, Cue Ball etc
Magda photo magda4.jpg Nizza photo nizzo2.jpg Black Ball 3 photo blackball3.jpg

o

Magda is a great squash. Per Johnnys (I think) the supplier may be phasing it out. So this might be a good time to get seeds if you want to try it.

o

I have grown this variety twice. It is a very good summer variety. The taste is quite good. It is somewhat resistant to Squash Vine Borers and it produces fairly well for the size. I have a blog post about my experience below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rounde De Nice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here