Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sloan_quinn

Something eating lettuce but not spinach?

Sloan Quinn 8b
11 years ago

I know it's late in the season, but we've had a warm enough "winter" here that I've still got lettuce and spinach in my garden. Problem is, something seems to be eating my lettuce, but leaving the spinach completely alone.

It's not slugs, I don't think, because the damage is a slew of tiny holes in the center of the leaves. I thought aphids, but as I understand it, they should also go after the spinach that's a foot away, and they haven't. They seem to like the red-leaf lettuce best, since those didn't get past sending out a couple true leaves before they were eaten to a nub.

I dislike the idea of using Seven on lettuce when there might be a better solution, and I really want to know what my picky eater is.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sloan

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

slew of tiny holes in the center of the leaves

Sounds like flea beetles although it could still easily be slugs. You can't rule them out just because they have focused on one crop and not another. Aphids don't leave holes and are easily seen as they don't move much.

eaten to a nub

Sounds like rabbits, mice, or rats.

Unfortunately it can't be diagnosed from a distance. Only you can determine for sure with close observation and monitoring. You will have to examine the plants closely and look for any signs of mice or slugs. Sevin 'may' work if it is flea beetles but it won't work for any of the mammals.

Dave

• Donna
    11 years ago

Agree with Dave on every point. Would also add that "eaten to a nub" could definitely be DEER.

If you have flea beetles, rotate your crops. They particularly like eggplant and brassicas in my garden. For me, crop rotation and/or growing in pots has pretty well solved the problem.

• Jacey192
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure it is slugs. I've been doing research on lettuce vs spinach preference for school as are my classmates and the slugs prefer lettuce, usually leaving the spinach untouched.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

EARWIG is often overlooked. Because they are snicky. They come out at night like slugs and snails but the are smart and run away and hide. They hide in similar fashion to slugs in the cracks, under rocks/stones, ...during the day. They eat much bigger holes than flea beetle. Also they start with the parts of the plants close to the ground(like slog/snail) while flea beetles eat the top most leaves. Of all these insects, slugs damage is more severe. A big fat slug can eat a whole seeding in one sitting.
    Another thing is that flee beetles love peppers and eggplant, tomatillo .... all in the nightshade family. FB damage is only critical when seedlings are very small and not when on the established plant.

One more thing: Slugs have chewing/eating pattern similar to caterpillars. The will not usually eat in hole or circular pattern.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 5:53