Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prachi_gw

Need recommendations for cantaloupe variety

Prachi
10 years ago

Not sure if I should repost this in the fruit and orchard forum but will start here:

Looking for a cantaloupe variety that is:
-very sweet and good tasting
- smaller sized fruit I am going to try trellising it so a smaller variety is likely to be better

Any suggestions... I've grown cantaloupes when I was younger but this will be my first attempt at trellising it up (I had success with keeping up with my cucumbers this year so going to try cantaloupes this way). Thanks!

Comments (13)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I'd advise against it. Cantaloupes slip from the stem and go splat, often w/o warning.

There are lots of mini watermelon varieties and some smaller honeydews that will work better on a trellis.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

prachi, a womans bra attached to the trellis works well to cradle the fruit. Saw a video on that awhile back.

• Prachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha ha yes "dirtyguy50" I was planning on giving my cantaloupes extra support. I've looked through many youtube videos ... I can find only one that actually showed grown cantelopes trellised and each fruit had its own support. (I noticed that even John Kohler on Growing your greens never actually showed mature cantelopes on his youtube channel... or if he did I can't find the video).

However Pat Lanza from the Lassagna Gardening book shows does show how she's done this where she gave individual fruits their own support.

It just may be an experiment... maybe I'll try one trellised and I'll try and find place for one grown on the ground (to ensure I get some)

• phxphoto
    10 years ago

No idea how they'll grow in New Jersey, but I grew Hearts of Gold last year and they were fantastic. Incredibly sweet and flavorful, juicy, and smaller than your typical modern cantaloupe... 2-3 pounds, 6-8" diameter. They also have a cool-looking deep ribbing many newer varieties lack.

You'll definitely have your work cut out for you supporting each fruit! Most of the smaller varieties are ridiculously prolific, so if you get good pollination and don't thin the set blossoms out, you'll have a lot of fruit to support.

The only smaller variety I can think of off-hand is Minnesota Midget (~1 lb, 4-6" diameter), and they're even more prolific than the HoG.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

As a rule the Charantais class is small and don't slip. Sugar Cube, Lil' Loupe, and Tasty Bites get good press as personal size melons. Among the antiques, the old Netted Gem is quite good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumis melo

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

The best of all is Charentais. Once you eat that you don't want any other. It is early, small and easy to grow too. It doesn't slip but it will smell ripe.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I recommend Tasty Bites. They are 1 to 2 lbs and full of flavor and the aroma is unbelievable, they sell themselves.

• planatus
    10 years ago

Minnesota Midget. I think that may be the one you want.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

This may seem like a dumb question but is this thread about muskmelons or actual cantaloupes? Not that I have any experience with either of them, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Rodney

• Prachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the suggestions... Rodney... actually I can go either way Muskmelon or cantaloupe... My only issue is that it needs to look like the "orange melon" my son eats in preschool :) otherwise I can go either way cantaloupe or muskmelon. He's never had "garden fresh" melon so I either way I know he is going to be in for a real treat.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

In North America muskmelons are better known as cantaloupes and most vendors will list them as such. The charantais type is considered the true cantaloupe, but only a handful of varieties are available. Both types have varieties with orange flesh. That rules out the Netted Gems which have green flesh.

• amberroses
    10 years ago

If powdery mildew is a problem for you, I'd find a resistant variety.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

They use to use panty hose as the support product. They can be cut up and secured to your tresses