Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Garbanzo & Edamame Beans

Posted by susandonb 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 11:18

Hi,
I am attempting to grow Garbanzo and Edamame beans for the first time this year and was wondering if anyone else has grown these? I would like some tips. I have read that they should only be started in warm soil and need a very long warm growing time.

I am in NC and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Garbanzo & Edamame Beans

I have grown both.Garbanzo is a cool weather plant. You may plant them any time in March. If the danger of frost is over you can plant them earlier.It takes little more than to months to produce harvestable pods.Pick the pods just before they show some yellowing.Shell the fully filled pods and use the green seeds as vegetable like any other beans.Or roast the pods and eat'm.
You may let them dry and harvest to use as dry seeds.
Edamame are planted by end of May up to mid-June.Their growing habits are like beans.

o

I looked for garbanzo seeds today, no luck. Where can I find them?

I have grown soybeans and they were easy, but they did take a long time to set beans. The kids loved 'em, which was nice. The rodents also loved them.

o

Try The Vermont Bean Seed Company. Also I think www.italianseed.net. and www.gourmetseed.com.

I believe all of those have them.

Susan in NC

o

Indan grocery stores sell them as Channa,Kabuli channa or Bengal grams.
You may find them at Organic food stores also.

o

I got mine at Pinetree, they call them Mediterranean Chick Peas. I planted them too late and didn't get any...really attractive plants, though, and they help build your soil.

I did edamame also, they were planted the first week of June and set a small crop, which i boiled in the pod briefly in salted water. I thought they were quite tasty, and will grow them again.

I will also do chickpeas again, and get them planted EARLY.

Both of these legumes need an inoculant for best results.

Here is a link that might be useful: pinetree garden seeds

o

I forgot about Pinetree. I read that the garbanzo should be planted early and they like cooler temps.
I can't wait to try these. If I can grow chick pease I will be in heaven! I am Italian and love them, I put them in pasta, salads, soups, humus.

Thanks for the tips.
Susan in NC

o

The growing requirements for garbanzo beans and edamame are entirely different. Garbanzo prefers cool soil as stated above, and soy beans like it hot so they are planted later than most vegetables and grow quickly to harvest.

Check with your state's Extension Service. Each county should have it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area determined by universities, and horticultural research scientists have collected data from growing those crops in your state.

See how detailed these examples are:

Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf) complete with spring and fall planting dates (underneath the spring planting dates for appropriate crops), how much to plant per person, etc. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area and ideal planting times for specific crops and varieties in your area.

Here is an excerpt:

Just call up the office in your county. Look under the "Government" section(usually blue pages) of your phone book under "Extension".

o

susandonb,

How's it going? I assume you have a planting of soy beans in the ground now?

o

I planted "Butterbeans" Edamame, from Johnny's, and was very happy with the result. I planted them on 3/30, observed germination on 4/12, and harvested at the end of June. Got ten or fifteen pounds from a thirty-foot row and have now planted filet beans in the space they occupied.

The sole pest I observed on them was the dreaded Japanese Beetle. Pyrethrin and smooshing seemed to be effective.

Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here