Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet potato seeds?

Posted by summertime2006 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 11:49

Just wondering if anyone sells sweet potato seeds instead of sweet potato slips.

I could never find any seeds for sweet potatoes and I always wondered that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet potato seeds?

Sweet potatoes do not seed much, so breeders would be the only folks playing with seeds. They are easy to proprogate by slips or cuttings.

o

They also don't produce true from seed.

o

And it would take 2 years (or 2 full growing seasons) to get any edible potatoes from them.

There are many good reasons why sweet potatoes are grown from slips and not seeds, even if you could get them.

Dave

o

It would be a fun project in a frost-free climate, though.

o

Sweet potato have seeds. sweet potatoes can be sexual reproduction, but also asexual reproduction

o

Thanks Farmerdill, Rhizi 1, Digdirt, Pnbrown and Cleverley

I had no idea about some of those things. I guess that is why I never see seeds for sweet potatoes!

o

My sweet potatoes produced a few flowers for the very first time here in central OH - it was so hot last year I expect they thought they were in NC or somewhere! LOL Of course, they are the same family (Convolvulaceae) as morning glories, and that is just what the flowers looked like.
Glad I saw this post (en route to searching for something else!)... reminds me I am late starting my slips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here