Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about seedlings and germination

Posted by AiliDeSpain 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 12:22

I have four nine packs of onions in a dome for germination (mini greenhouse by planters pride). Some of the seeds have sprouted in each pack but not all, I would say a third have sprouted. My question is do I leave them under the dome and wait for them all to sprout or should I put them under lights now since some have sprouted? It has been six days since I started them.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about seedlings and germination

I'd probably remove the lid and simply keep them warm n moist and make sure they get plenty of light (may want to use a light bulb).

o

Agree. Uncover and lights now. And for future reference you'll want to check out the growing from Seed forum here. That's where all the info and FAQs about seedlings and germination are. Be sure to check out the FAQs. Lots of info on all the basic issues.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed forum

o

Thank you for the responses. I went ahead and uncovered and put them all under lights.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 15:40

In the particular case of onion seedlings it is less important than for most veggies. They are immune to damping off and other high moisture problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here