Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers and beans on same trellis?

Posted by sheree401 OR 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 12:46

I want to build a trellis with a roll of metal fencing we have laying around (much like what alot of you have done). Can I plant cucumbers on what side and bush beans on the other side? Or will it be too crowded?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers and beans on same trellis?

Since both are warm weather crops, I think it will be a bit too crowded depending upon how close you plant the pole beans.

Cucumbers have very large leaves and need plenty of sunlight for them to produce the cucumbers.

Depending upon your training method for the cucumbers (vertical or horizontal), you could fill in the spots with pole beans.

I'm actually going to plant snap peas (cool-weather crop) and cucumbers together. By the time the cucumbers really get going, it will take over the peas which will have put on most of their crop by that point.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

o

Unless you are talking about some sort of big 5 foot tall arched trellis with things planted on separate sides then yes, they will be far too crowded. Would need much more info on the style, size, shape of the trellis you are talking about to be of more help. Other wise they need separate trellis.

Dave

o

If you are in a humid part of Oregon, you would want a lot of air circulation around your cucumber vines.

In our hot, relatively dry climate, people sometimes plant cucumbers under trees for shade, or under corn. I cannot grow cucumbers here if they are not trellised. Summer Dance is the variety that works best for me. In cooler climates, I would go for the most disease-resistant variety of the type I like.

I once grew Trombocino squashes and cucuzzi gourd on the same fence with pole beans and they did O.K. - shade from the squashes allowed me to harvest a few beans (nornally pole beans don't produce in hot weather here). Don't know if it would work in Oregon - well, maybe in Eastern Oregon.

o

I have beans and cucumbers on the same trellis, but the way I have it isn't how the OP is talking about, I think.

I have raised beds and can plant on both sides of the trellis. I plant cucumbers on both sides for a few sqare feet and then switch and plant beans on both sides for the rest of the box.

So, they're not interplanted, but they are on the same trellis.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 16:55

Sheree

I agree that you might have problems if you planted beans on one side and cukes on the other of a trellis, but why can't you plant beans on half the trellis, both sides, and cukes on the other half, both sides? They might have arguments in the middle :-) but I think you'd end up with the same space use. Like this:

Photobucket

o
Ha! Ribbit!

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 16:57

You beat me to it!

Great minds and all that... :-)

o

It's that GA blood runnin' through us.

The beans and cukes do tango in the middle, especially when they reach the top and get woven back down, but they seem to enjoy the dance.

I moved my trellis up in August in order to be able to plant on both sides of it. I have no idea why I didn't do it in the first place. I doubled my trellis space in 15 minutes.

o

Ah hah! That is genious and now I feel like a moron for not thinking of that to begin with:) Thanks ribbit and anney.

o

I didn't think of it either for the longest time. Here's how I did it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Doubling trellis space

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here