Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheree401

Cucumbers and beans on same trellis?

sheree401
14 years ago

I want to build a trellis with a roll of metal fencing we have laying around (much like what alot of you have done). Can I plant cucumbers on what side and bush beans on the other side? Or will it be too crowded?

Comments (13)

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Since both are warm weather crops, I think it will be a bit too crowded depending upon how close you plant the pole beans.

Cucumbers have very large leaves and need plenty of sunlight for them to produce the cucumbers.

Depending upon your training method for the cucumbers (vertical or horizontal), you could fill in the spots with pole beans.

I'm actually going to plant snap peas (cool-weather crop) and cucumbers together. By the time the cucumbers really get going, it will take over the peas which will have put on most of their crop by that point.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Unless you are talking about some sort of big 5 foot tall arched trellis with things planted on separate sides then yes, they will be far too crowded. Would need much more info on the style, size, shape of the trellis you are talking about to be of more help. Other wise they need separate trellis.

Dave

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I have beans and cucumbers on the same trellis, but the way I have it isn't how the OP is talking about, I think.

I have raised beds and can plant on both sides of the trellis. I plant cucumbers on both sides for a few sqare feet and then switch and plant beans on both sides for the rest of the box.

So, they're not interplanted, but they are on the same trellis.

• anney
    14 years ago

Sheree

I agree that you might have problems if you planted beans on one side and cukes on the other of a trellis, but why can't you plant beans on half the trellis, both sides, and cukes on the other half, both sides? They might have arguments in the middle :-) but I think you'd end up with the same space use. Like this:

{{gwi:10444}}

• anney
    14 years ago

You beat me to it!

Great minds and all that... :-)

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

It's that GA blood runnin' through us.

The beans and cukes do tango in the middle, especially when they reach the top and get woven back down, but they seem to enjoy the dance.

I moved my trellis up in August in order to be able to plant on both sides of it. I have no idea why I didn't do it in the first place. I doubled my trellis space in 15 minutes.

• sheree401
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah hah! That is genious and now I feel like a moron for not thinking of that to begin with:) Thanks ribbit and anney.

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I didn't think of it either for the longest time. Here's how I did it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Doubling trellis space

• gthomson910 - Zone 10a/9b - Corona, Ca, US
    7 years ago

An old post, but I was looking for similar, so thought I'd post what I've done in case it helps others in the future that come across it. I started with Armenian cukes in an Aerogarden, and didn't have high hopes they'd transplant outside well. This is what it looked like at transplant time, and I didn't harden off before moving to outside in the yard - http://www.gthomson.us/projects/landscaping/armenian-cucumbers-1.jpg

That same plant is now here 5 weeks later - it's the one of the left -
    http://www.gthomson.us/projects/landscaping/cukes-05302016-2.jpg

I planted 5 more on that 3' wide trellis - definitely too many.

#6 didn't make it so I put in a Rattlesnake pole bean there on the right.

The cukes and pole bean do seem to like each other and they both seem to be helping to support each other and using each other for structure wrapping tendrils around each other.

The pole bean vines are definitely more delicate and smaller leaves.
    And there's a cantaloupe plant in there, too, that isn't obvious - replaced cuke #2.

Next year, I'll add another tree stake, and another 3' wide trellis.
    And I think I'll put one of each on each trellis - armenian cucumber, rattlesnake pole beans, and some kind of cantaloupe.

The above pictures are South-facing, with the sun coming up to the left.
    Did I do this backwards with the big leaf cukes on the left, and small leaf bean on the right? Or does the bean plant need less sun to do well?

Given this 3' wide trellis, and wanting to put an armenian cuke, canteloupe and some type of pole bean - what should the timing be on planting directly outside, and in which order, so they work well in a companion kind of way?

Also, for what it's worth... my pooch does seem to like to pee on that left cuke - this is Chipper my pooch amongst some Chives - http://www.gthomson.us/projects/landscaping/chipper-chives.jpg

Is there some reason that would be giving that left cuke more of what it needs to grow so much bigger?

• Lisa David
    4 years ago

• Lisa David
    4 years ago

This year I got started late because of all the rain..n. kind of got mixed up on which were the cucumbers and which were the trellis and beans so I just planted them all on each side of the trellis at different intervals that's why one side of the trellis doesn't have much yet. But they seem to do pretty good together and my cucumbers are really yummy and sweet.

• HU-234334708
    2 years ago

Can you possibly with cucumbers and squash go backwards on a trellis I planted in a tall raised bed and want it to go the opposite way to hang over and down the box cascading box will any plant be opposed to this.,and maybe won’t grow.?my soil is horrible and id rather not put them on the ground, too much real estate if I use only the boxes to grow cuc ,squash?any ideas with be so grateful.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner