Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

Am I nuts?

zzackey
10 years ago

I was out planting my English peas in the rain today. Well, just drizzling. It is supposed to rain for two days and I wanted to get them in before the rain. I got one row in before it started to pour. Happy New Year!

Comments (11)

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

You may be nuts. :) I will plant my peas next month a few days after Valentines day. That's what I did last year, and they were sprouting around March 1st.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wanted to plant them in December, but it was way to warm here. Unseasonable weather. Not complaining, much anyway. It made gardening a challenge. I saw several local gardens with greens bolting because it was so warm.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Depends. smooth seeded varieties will pose no problem, but wrinkle seed type may rot in cold wet conditions.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are smooth.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

What do you mean by "English Peas"? Are they same as snap peas ?

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the south they call beans peas. Most southerners don't grow English peas. Yes, they are snap peas. I doubt they would rot here. The soil is all sand.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I usually plant carrots this time of the year in one of our high tunnels. But due to being sick, not having the high tunnel cleaned out from last fall and the fact that is is 0 degrees with a -15 plus degree wind chill, I decided to wait. Not crazy, just eager with anticipation.

Jay

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

English pea refers to shelling peas. Snap pea is a fleshy pod pod with edible pods. Snow peas are also edible podded peas, but must be used when flat and thin before peas form. Smooth seeded peas which may be either English peas or snow peas have small hard smooth outer shells and tolerate cold wet soil. English pea varieties are Alaska and Willet Wonder. In the south more folks grow southern (cowpeas) which are entirely different. Peas in the south usually means cowpea and other types are called English peas, snap peas, snow peas, chick peas etc.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that, farmerdill. I've called them English peas for 25 years. Being a Yankee transplant can be interesting in the South. January is the normal time to plant them. Our temperatures roller coaster in the winter. December was mostly in the 80's. That's way above normal for us. Usually in the 60's and a few days in the 50's. Sunday it's supposed to be 70 degrees.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

English peas to describe cultivars of Pisum; cowpea to describe some cultivars of Vigna.

In north florida I have planted pisum in early december and they made quite well in march.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had planned to plant them in December this year, but it was so hot. I didn't want to ruin them.