Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I be productive on terrace north side?

Posted by merryp none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:00

Hello! I am moving to Barcelona, Spain and would like to grow as many vegetables as possible on my ground floor terrace. My question: What will and won't be possible for a nice vegetable and herb garden lasting as long as possible?

The the apartment I most love has a sizable terrace which is oriented northwest in the large courtyard for a block of buildings. I am told it has:
- 6 hours of direct sun from 1 pm to 7 pm in the summer months, June-September
- 4 hours direct sun in the late spring and early autumn
- 2 hours direct sun in the early spring or late autumn.
- No direct sun for 3-4 months (November-February).
The photo above was taken in December.

I am relatively new to urban gardening, having previously grown in the ground on the south side of my home in Michigan, with a much more limited growing season than I will have in Barcelona. I have read much on container gardening, but I am having trouble determining how limited I will be by the sun conditions for this north facing terrace.

Will I do alright, or should I strongly consider waiting for an apartment with a south facing terrace so that I can produce more food in more months? Thanks!

This post was edited by merryp on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I be productive on terrace north side?

6 hours of sun sounds like enough to grow almost anything.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 17:29

I disagree. if it were 6 hours for six months, yes. But it is six hours for three months. I would concentrate on herbs, root crops, cabbage, greens. The fruiting plants will be limited. If you insist on fruits, I would go with zucchini and beans. You can however grow things in full shade in the winter, since it is Zone 9. Lettuce for example, and you will still have some herbs.

o

What time of day was this picture taken? Was it sunny?

o

That first photo was from the real estate company, so I don't know. Let me post a few that I took at 11:15 am, and it was sunny. Solar noon is between 1:00 and 1:30 pm this time of year in Barcelona.

o

Another.

o

Last one. These three photos were taken January 22nd.

o

Maybe not very related, but that area is absolutely beautiful. Its a shame you don't get more direct sunlight.

o

Sorry! I was thinking your winters would be too cold to garden.

o

I want to thank everyone for their help so far. It is such a beautiful space, and I too wish it got more sunlight. I would like to grow tomatoes, different varieties of peppers, and a lemon tree in addition to those plants glib suggested. There are two street balconies on the opposite side of the property which are southeast.facing and on a very wide avenue such that sun is not blocked much by buildings. Even with the very low sun in January, the balconies were getting four hours of sun, which I'm sure will increase in the spring and summer.

o

Looks very nice but lack of sun will probably hinder growth of plants that like a lot of sun like tomatoes & peppers.

o

From what I've seen of the weather in a Barcelona Summer you will be grateful for any shade you can get. I think you will be able to grow tomatoes without any problems. But even if you can't you will be living in a city with some of the most fabulous fresh produce markets anywhere.

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 10:14

At my house the north side is the spot that gets the most sun due to trees/buildings that shade the south side for most of the day. I grow plenty of vegetables with what I've got, which is fairly similar to you (sunlight hours-wise anyways). 6ish hours for 4 months (~120 days) I would imagine to be enough.

But like someone else said, the summer's heat may be a problem. Of course that's a pretty easy problem to handle by using the material used for row covers as a buffer and finding what cultivars are locally grown and proven in that environment. I've never been to Spain so I don't know what it's like, but I have been to Iraq and they grow plenty of vegetables in 120*F, so I know it can be done.

o

trained morello cherries, currants, strawberries, saladings, herbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here