Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplants From Seed- When to Start?

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 24, 11 at 14:18

I am curious to know how early you guys like to start your eggplants inside? Last year was my first time growing them from seed and I started them much to late. I am terrible when it comes to timing these sorts of things!

Recently read in a mag that it is best to start them 8-12 weeks before your last frost date. Twelve weeks sounds like a really long time to me, but am no expert so would love to hear your opinions. If twelve weeks is best than I need to hustle and get things together, lol!

Do you think it is best to grow the plants as big as you can inside before planting time? Do you find it gives them a good head start doing so?
Thanks much for any info!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplants From Seed- When to Start?

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 24, 11 at 14:55

Eggplant is one item I've not had success with when planting early. I usually will start seeds about 2 to 3 weeks before typical last frost date and start setting plants about 3 to 4 weeks after last frost date.

In addition, we have a long growing season for eggplant. I can generally harvest through October. Eggplant tolerates the heat very well. So late plantings also work quite well. Because of this, I've not felt the need to start eggplant early.

From prior postings I've noted that eggplant success is sometimes a bit tougher for folks up north. Redback from those who share a similar climate as yours might be more helpful.

o

Concur. I use the same timetable for eggplants that I do for tomatoes 6-8 weeks. But temps come up fast here and they do like heat more so than tomatoes.

o

I'm in a similar zone as OP and I start mine ~end Feb-March 1 for a ~May 1 plant-out under wall o' water. I find they don't like to be too long in pots and just sit there in the window, pining for outside.

Dan

o

Thanks so much for the info. Good to know that they don't do well indoors for a long period of time. Think I will try starting them about the time Dan does, since our LFD is only a little later than his.
CMK

o

I'd go for end of Feb here...especially if you can move them into a greenhouse/hoophouse at some point in March. They love heat.

o

I agree with the Feb/early March planting date, after the first 2 sets of true leaves the seedlings get kind of big. If you can handle larger transplants then starting from seed is nice for trying different varieties.

For up north growing it is best to have something to cover them with at night and something clear to cover them with during the day to trap extra heat until the temps warm up.

They also germinate much better with bottom heat.

o

I start my eggplants in mid-March and plant them out about June 1. I do move them up in pots several times and they get a few weeks in my mini greenhouse which heats up nicely in the spring.

I always start them before the tomatoes - as much as 3-4 weeks based on my growing environment and experience with them. Same with peppers - start them with the eggplants.

Of course, every year is a bit different but 10-11 weeks seems to be about right for my plants. They are big and healthy.

o

I too have great success when starting my eggplant seeds at the same time as my tomatoes. I have them scheduled to seed on 4/17.

I also plant out after Memorial Day. They produce well into fall.

Rachel
GrafixMuse's Garden Spot Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here