Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxim1122

Single stem vs. unpruned tomatoes

Maxim1122
10 years ago

Hello, I'm planning to plant tomatoes soon in my small garden. Now, because I'm limited with space, I got introduced to single stem tomato method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_ATF4lp4).
But, I've heard that single stem tomato method is only effective when the season is short, and since I live in the Mediterranean, my season is pretty long. So my question is, what will be more effective in terms of yields per space, single stem or unpruned tomato plants?
PS what is the best support for both methods for indeterminate tomatoes? (cage, trellis or stakes)
Thanks!!!

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

what will be more effective in terms of yields per space

Unpruned gives you more production by far. It would be impossible for a single-stem plant to match the production of multi-stems much less come close to that of an unpruned plant.

Literally hundreds of discussions about this question over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato forum

• courtneysgarden
    10 years ago

If doing single stem winding them vertically up a string looks like a good option I want to try- look up "string trellis for tomatoes".

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I prefer staking my tomatoes. It is much easier to get to them than caging them. They are hard to prune and harvest when they are caged.

• Maxim1122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello seysonn,
    season isb't really a problem for me, this year we only hha three nights of frost, and it was the coldest winter in the past 12 years.. so what is the recommended spacing if not pruning the plant?
    Thabks!

• drscottr
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Dave. I've grown tomatoes for 20 years in cages made from a re-mesh panels. Unpruned plants yield way more good large tomatoes.It is true you end up with more green ones but who cares. You harvest more red tomatoes all season.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ drscott,

No doubt you can get more tomatoes per plant if you do not prune it at all. But at the same time you will use almost three as much garden space. I grow mine in average 3 sq-ft per plant ( 21" by 21" or 18" by 24"). The widely recomended spacing for un pruned indet plant is 3ft by 3ft , that adds up to 9 sq-ft per plant. In the same(9 sq-ft) space I can plant 3 tomatoes and harvest more fruits than a single plant of the same variety. I have read some market growers use about the same spacing in their high tunnel. Because space is a valuable resource and you want to maximize your returns.

But in the end of the day, we do what we do and we have our reason, whether biased or based on logic.

• Maxim1122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I asked in the original post, I asked what would yield more per space, so if I have 1 tomato plant with multiple stems in 4 sqft (and not 9 sqft seysonn, look it up under "Indeterminate" here: http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/tomatoes/), and 4 tomato plants that grow with 1 stem in 1 sqft each, where will I get more yields by the end of the day?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

and 4 tomato plants that grow with 1 stem in 1 sqft each

You would not have 1 sq. foot each. The minimum recommendation for even a single stem plant is 2 sq. foot.

So the comparison would be 2 plants (not 4) vs. 1 plant and the 1 unpruned plant would still win the production challenge.

Again, as I suggested above, this is frequently discussed over on the Growing Tomatoes forum and many of those discussions include links to documented studies done on this very question rather than just personal opinions.

Please understand that much of the pruning done by its advocates is for aesthetic reasons only, for appearance, for garden eye-appeal, and for convenience for the gardener. It is not done for the benefit of the plant or for production,

They may live in a climate where sunscald of exposed fruit is not an issue. For you, and for us in the south, sunscald of exposed fruit is a very real problem. And given the predominance of some of the diseases we in hot climates have to deal with, the health of the plant so it can better resist those disease is vital. Drastically reduce the photosynthesis ability of the plant by pruning it aggressively can easily reduce its over-all health.

That is a lesson many of us have had to learn the hard way over many years.

A caged or staked or trellised plant grown in the proper spacing can still be lightly pruned as needed - any branches that touch the ground, any large leaflet branches that block access to the fruit can be trimmed back or removed, and late season sprouting suckers or bloom rellis can be pinched off, etc. But that in no way justifies radical pruning.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 11:57

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I'd love to see a picture of your mesh cages. I was thinking of the metal ones when I made my comment.

• Maxim1122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thanks a lot Dave! I'll go with the standard method.