Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erdnuss_gw

Vine Peach

erdnuss
15 years ago

I am ordering some plants/seeds from eburgess.com

Anyone know anything about the vine peach?

http://www.eburgess.com/detail.asp?pid=6298

I've done some research and have even found some spots were people have discussed the vine peach in the past on this site, but it seems none of them ever "conclude".

Has anyone here ever grown them? Has anyone eaten them?

For only 90 cents for a packet, I thought it might be kind of fun to grow for the heck of it, but at the same time, if it's not worth the space, then I'd rather use that space on my trellises for something else.

Ideas?

Comments (5)

• nc_crn
    15 years ago

It's a muskmelon.

It's also called an "apple melon" or "mango melon" in some areas.

You should care/grow the plant like a melon. If you're expecting something like a peach you'll be disappointed, though I personally like the small "single serving" melons.

Nice price on the seed.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

If you like an old time novelty, to grow for fun, the vine peach is in the same category as garden huckleberry. Been around since Noah, never popular, but like the citron, once used to make preserves. It tastes like the most tasteless cantaloupe you ever tried. The bad ones we use to call dead vine melons, that ripened before thier time. During WWII, my mother made preserves from them, but I can't say the preserves were very good. Raw, a hungry teenager (me) would not eat them.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Agree with farmerdilla - they are a waste of time and space.

There was a lengthy discussion on them on the Harvest forum here last year and a couple of discussions on the Fruit Growing forum here too. Most all agree.

Before you get too carried away with your order you may want to do some reading on that company. Garden Watchdog forum only gives them a 32/100 score on quality of merchandise. Several discussions on them that a search will pull up.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Rate and Review Vendors forum

• erdnuss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the heads up on burgess

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I have ordered from burgess before (planed on ordering some things this year). Their prices are cheap but you get what you pay for. Don't be surprised if you don't get exactly what you expect to get. I have never ordered any kind of fruit tree from them and would probably be afraid to. I have also not ordered seeds form them so I can't tell you what to expect from their seeds.

I usually just get plants, I figure if it isn't what I was hoping at least I didn't pay too much.

So far everything I have ordered from them has survived.

Last year something that I had ordered was out of stock and they sent me something else instead (I forgot to tell them I didn't what any substitutions). It was some kind of evasive ground cover and I hate evasive things so I called them and told them that I was not happy with what I received. They told me that I would have to send a letter to them stating what I wanted: a refund, something else instead, or the plant I ordered when it becomes available. So I sent them a letter stating that when the plant became available I would like one sent to me. It was not very long before I got what I had wanted in the mail, I believe it was only a month or two.

I have gotten some nice flowers from them even though they were not always what I expected. Again you get what you pay for.