Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drooples

pepper cold hardiness

drooples
14 years ago

i have some thai peppers in containers outside and it is supposed to get to below freezing each night for the next week. as i understand the peppers should live but i was wondering if they might be damaged at all if they stayed out and if i should bring them in to keep them healthy, if not alive?

Comments (5)

• bella_trix
    14 years ago

Peppers are tropical plants and will not survive freezing weather. They need to be brought inside. I was able to keep my sweet peppers alive in the garden by covering with blankets during frost warnings, but if you have the option of moving them inside, I would do that.

Bellatrix

• drooples
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you. i did.

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Agreed.

We had two light frosts before the heavier frosts and the California Wonder plants I have survived - although some of the peppers began to rot and the leaves drooped a bit.

Then the very hard freeze did them in.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• knittlin
    14 years ago

"Peppers are tropical plants and will not survive freezing weather." The only exception to that, and I mean only, is the chili petin (aka chili pequin, bird pepper, etc.). It's native to Texas, so will come back from the roots (maybe that's why you thought yours would?). But every other pepper I've ever encountered is toast in a freeze.

• thepodpiper
    14 years ago

I beleive most peppers if not all will come back from a mild freeze as long as the roots have not been frozen solid. I pulled up a Rocoto the middle of Dec. that had seen many frosts and even some temps in the 20's. Yanked it out cut it down to a stick potted it an it is doing fine.

Dale