Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Beans on low fence?

lucillle
10 years ago

I am thinking of putting up some wire fencing to prevent the dogs from going into the vegetable growing area. Cheapest and easiest while still sturdy is wire fence. I wonder if pole beans will produce on such a fence if I choose one that is only 4 1/2 feet high?

Comments (6)

• dajsnipe
    10 years ago

My experience is beans will out grow whatever there planted next to, my trellises are about 8' high and they go right over.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Pole beans will grow as high as they have something to climb and then drape back down and keep on growing so I'd imagine you'd have bean plants running all along the ground before long.

But I've never used anything that limited in height. My bean trellis fence is a bit over 6'4" as that is as high as I care to reach and they still drape over it and back down the other side. So I'd sure try to go higher if you can. Maybe a couple of taller stakes spaced along the fence with string running between them so the plants can keep going above the fence? See pics linked below. There is one in the 3rd row down that is a good example of what I mean.

Or there is always bush bean varieties.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pole bean trellis pics

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the taller stake idea. I'm choosing that height (I checked and it is only right below 4 feet) because Home Depot sells a roll of sturdy wire fence enough for the garden and enough left over to put up a temporary fence at the side property line when I plan to move the privacy fence to the property line or some other form of taller fencing that the neighbors can't throw brush over. There may even be enough left over to make a section of the garden fence higher.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If your dogs are misbehaving, they will probably jump/go over the beans too.
    Not knowing how big your dogs are and tall your current fence is, it is not possible to make a suggestion. But in general a 2-3ft tall chicken screen, plastic screen, picket fence should keep the dogs out.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn,

True, even though several of my dogs are large. But for garden, non decorative purposes to me it makes sense to put up something that can do double duty as a dog barrier and vegetable support for all sorts of veggies, beans and others. I even thought of cattle panels because they are taller and strong, might even decide to use them.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

One thing you may consider is lacing 6-8 feet stakes through your fence wire at 1 foot intervals. This will allow the beans to climb higher and the fence will support the poles. Lace them through the wire and into the ground a few inches. Connect the tops with a small diameter cord and then use twine to tie the cord to the top of the fence. Works great!