Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Looking for OP corn variety with "old timey" flavor for roasting

plantslayer
10 years ago

My wife has mandated that if we grow corn for roasting ears it should not be the "super sweet" ultra-tender varieties that are so popular with everyone these days. We want corn that tastes like corn first, and like sugar water a very distant second. If it's a bit chewy, even better. It needs to be sweet enough that it won't taste like glue, but not so sweet that it tastes like Karo. You get the idea.

I see a lot of interesting varieties in the heirloom seed catalogs, but sometimes I am concerned that they are really meant as ornamentals or flour corn, and would not really taste good as early corn.

Bonus points if it is a short season variety (maybe "80 days" or so, whatever that means, high yield, and looks interesting (esp. if it is bi-colored, blue, red or calico).

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    10 years ago

one of the more common heirloom sweet corns is golden bantam. There is a couple different varieties of it I think, but I'm pretty sure they are all OP. Its not decorative, just yellow, but it's a 70-80 day corn. There's a lot of sources for it, I think pretty much anyone who sells heirloom seeds sells a golden bantam corn.

SSE has Blue Jade, which is a blue sweet corn, so more decorative then the bantam. It's also 70-80 days.

Both of them are short varieties, I think the first usually grows 5-6' and the second ~3'. That's all I can think of off the top of my head though I'm sure there is more.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Most of the southern dent heirlooms make good roasting at the young stage.

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

I've tried a few heirloom sweet corns. The only variety I can remember by name that I rejected (for flavor) was Country Gentleman. (It seemed pretty much like the pure "glue" taste to me at the time.) The two I might grow again are Golden Bantam and Ashworth. Ashworth made a wimpy plant, but it might have had slightly sweeter corn than Golden Bantam and it was extra early. I've gotten to where I prefer hominy from the local heirloom dent corn I grow, and I don't care as much for sweet corn any more, but after all these years I really ought to try some of the field corn I grow in the milk stage.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

If you really want an old time sweet corn, that is just a step or two above field corn. Stowell's Evergreen, Country Gentleman, Howling Mob, Black Mexican, Truckers Favorite. Golden Bantam is a newer OP that approaches the flavor of an Su hybrid. First really successful "sweet" corn.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Another vote for Trucker's Favorite. Famous in the south for the best roasting ears. But I think she'd be happier with Golden Bantam. What we recall as a "good old taste" often isn't nearly as good as we remember. :)

Dave

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    10 years ago

You mention interesting looks as a plus. Remember that you will be picking the ears to eat in the milk stage. The vibrant colors of the decorative varieties will only be partly developed when picked young. But if there is more than you want to eat fresh, the remaining ears will grow into dried corn that will be even more beautiful.

• n2xjk
    10 years ago

More OP varieties:
    Hookers
    Triple Play
    Painted Hill
    True Platinum
    Martian Jewels

• planatus
    10 years ago

I have not found an early corn that tastes really good, but for midseason we keep coming back to Luscious bicolor. It has nice tight ear tips and does not get many corn earworms. It is an "se" (sugar-extended) hybrid that holds its eating quality for a week or more, but is not yucky sweet like the super-sweets.

In the South, Silver Queen would be the standard to beat.

• plantslayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the thoughtful posts. I am sure Blue Jade is a good one for me; it even looks blue at the milk stage apparently, and gets darken when its cooked. I will probably get that for an OP heirloom selection, and choose another from the local seed rack based on maturity time.

I was wondering, if I want the corn to have a chewier texture and be a little less sweet, could I just choose an SE type and leave it on the stalk a little bit longer than normal? Or do they suddenly loose all of their sweetness overnight?

• planatus
    10 years ago

It is not a sudden transition from sugar to starch as you would see in older varieties. Silver Queen (normal sugary) would go past the milk stage faster than a good SE variety. I admit I don't really need the SE characteristic because we watch the ears like coons, can't wait to eat them. However, the sugar level of Luscious comes out at a balanced level after the corn has been blanched and frozen.