Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Harvesting cauliflower early?

jennieboyer
9 years ago

Hi - I am growing cauliflower for the first time and want to make sure I don't let it go too long. I know to cut before the curds start to separate and flower, but you don't know that's getting ready to happen until it happens! So, my question is, if I have a head that looks "big enough", can I harvest? Is there a certain size or time of developing that needs to happen before it will taste good? In other words, is it possible to harvest this "too early" (other than losing some size)? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

You harvest as soon as the head is large enough for your use. Cauliflower heads very rapidly 3-5 days, so you have a short harvest window. Most varieties are fairly uniform so just over a week between first and final heads. A little slower in winter. I cut my first head last week and the last of 18 plants needs cutting now.
    {{gwi:12598}}

• stuffradio
    9 years ago

I'll tell you a funny story that's off topic. Two summers ago (2013) I grew some Purple Cauliflower. I knew I was growing Cauliflower, and where it was. So I was looking at my Cauliflower one day, and saw something very worrying. My Cauliflower was looking all pink and moldy. I didn't quite know what the cause was, but within a few days I decided I better compost them. It took me a while to realize that I was growing Purple cauliflower and that's why they looked that way.

Moral of the story, don't grow purple cauliflower if you don't remember they're purple. :)

• djkj
    9 years ago

Its something I find it hard to estimate as well. Last season I let it grow too long and the curd was brown and not so good. I am also trying to grow purple and orange cauliflower more because they taste almost the same but have higher nutrition content.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Cheddar Cauliflower

• hobbiest
    9 years ago

Wish I could find a head of cauliflower.

45 to 50 day maturity. Put the plants in the ground around mid-august and still no heads.

Grumble....grumble......

• Hham
    9 years ago

Hi Hobbiest, look for Snow Crown. The hybrid I have is 50dtm. Planted Nov. 1st here in Central Florida and almost ready to harvest...crazy considering the 80 degree December we had!

• grandad_2003
    9 years ago

jennieboyer, I generally watch the cauliflower florets at the base of the head and look for separation. I try to catch it when they just start to separate. This is not always easy to see, especially for the self blanching cauliflowers...Below is a Candied Charm head that is noticeably separated.

{{gwi:2117843}}

Here is a Candied Charm head that is just starting to separate.

{{gwi:2117844}}

Here is a Romanesco Veronica head that is showing first hints of separation. Its a bit hard to see - look close at the bottom florets. I picked it because we are supposed to reach 20 degrees in the AM and I did not want to take a chance on an essentially ready-to-pick head This is my first year growing the Romanesco Veronica and I'm not sure of it's hardiness. I have several smaller heads and will soon know of their hardiness.

{{gwi:2117845}}
    . But as noted above by farmerdill it's really a matter of preference.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

grandad: those are just about perfect.. any more separation and one has waited too long.

Jennie: I wouldn't let FULL size interfere with harvesting a week or so prior to that potential. Better a week early than a week late. :

Kevin