Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
relaxingingeorgia

garlic growing in my compost?

Thanks in advance, I am a newbie to most of gardening. I have recently gotten more interested and would like to learn more, really excited to find this forum.

I started a compost pile abouot 18 months ago, I guess I threw out a old stale head of garlic so you guys know what surprised me the other day when I went to turn the compost. Yep, beautiful Garlic shoots, do you call them that? I have 8 or so with 4 to 6 inch shoots and the cloves are still in a loose bunch but kinda breaking away from each other. The are sitting right at the edge of the compost and wire mesh pretty much on the surface, I know they must have roots but left them there to see if I could find the best way to transplant.

Doing a little reading on Google it seems Garlic might not do so great here in GA, but if I want to give it a try should I just plant it in partial sun or maybe 4 hrs of sun a day? Should I leave the cloves partially uncovered with soil or completely bury them?

I really appreciate it, I guess those are my main questions but tips are certainly appreciated.

-Scott

Comments (4)