Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer Injector

Posted by Handsome54 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 20:06

Just purchased my first EZ Flo injector & I need to know what others are using for granular fertilizer in their injectors..... Miracle Gro comes to mind, but some sources say that it's not a good choice..... Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer Injector

Miracle Gro would probably be OK if your water is acidic or void of calcium(hardness), but otherwise you will likely block emiters in whatever fertigation system you use when typical phosphate fertilizer combines with the calcium to form calcium phosphate, a precipitate.

You can use soluble calcium nitrate or soluble potassium (Nutri-K) with litle problem. Irrigation supply centers should stock both or you could contact manufacturers like Millers, Viking Ship, etc.

o

Should give children nice strong teeth, though.

o

Thanks bmoser! Googling here to decipher........ What I do know is, our water supply (from the Kansas River via city water)is somewhat hard, soooo I'll need to do some research with the companies you've mentioned.

o

Thanks pnbrown! Only problem is.......... my children wear dentures..... ;)

o

Low or no phos and the liquid ferts work best in mine. Many brands available. Granulars like MG have to be pre-dissolved to the n th degree and even then carefully filtered before use.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave! Hadn't given much thought to using a liquid fertilizer. All this fertigation process is very new to me, so I plead ignorance at this juncture.... Back to the web......

Galen

o

Ummkkk......... I've researched organic liquid fertilizers & I'm a bit confused (as usual). Does seaweed stand alone when used in my injector or is it designed to be a supplement to another fertilizer?

o

Seaweed is usually best used as an additive to fertilizer such as with fish but will enhance any nutrients in the soil or compost that are already existing.

There's also a complete soluble powder fertilizers that has come on the market that seems ideal for an organic option for the Ez-Flo may be worth a try. see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: organic plant magic - alternative to miracle grow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here