Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
avocado seed

Posted by Kelley1212 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 20:49

Hi, all! Attached is a picture of the avocado seed that I have been germinating in water for 6 weeks. It has split completely, the roots are both 5-6 inches long, and there has been a visible tiny green sprout in the middle of the seed for about a week now. It has recently (in the past two weeks) developed these "growths" on the roots and around the tiny sprout in the middle. They are white, they come off if I rub on them, and they grow back within a few days. Is this a fungus? Is this harmful to my seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: avocado seed

Those are nodules...leave them there, they're harmless even if not commonly seen on avocado roots.

Rinse the roots and move to soil.

Avocados are susceptible to nodule forming nematodes, but you're not going to get those rooting them in water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here