Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marigolds as pest control

Posted by ochrenote NC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 3:17

Hello,

I was wondering if there was one particular marigold that was a more potent pest deterrent than they others.

I'm going to grow my own this year and just want to make sure I get the strongest one... if there is such a thing.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoAsheville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marigolds as pest control

Based on previous discussions here and my personal experience I think you'll find the so-called "pest deterrent" effect of marigolds isn't near what it is cracked up to be. But no, AFAIK, there is no variety that is supposedly better or potent than any of the others.

Marigolds act more like a insect pest trap crop - aphids and whiteflies love them - than a deterrent so take care where you plant them - too close to the garden and you are just inviting in the pests.

Dave

o

ochrenote -

I'd have to disagree with Dave a bit. If you want to try marigolds for pest deterrents, you will need the strongly scented French or African types (not the type you purchased). The strongly scented ones will repel flea beetles when interplanted with eggplant. Some people believe they also repel root nematodes but I couldn't tell you if they really do or not. I plant them between my cole crops, but I've never had a problem with root nematodes, so I don't know if this does anything. If nothing else, they are very pretty interplanted.

I also don't agree that the strongly scented marigolds act as a pest trap crop. I interplant them with vegetables all the time and have never seen them infested (or even mildly affected) by whiteflies or aphids.

Just my opinion/experience,
Bellatrix

o

Dark yellow colored Marigolds repel some insects particularly harmful to egg plants.

o

Just to add my two cents...I agree with Bellatrix.

Give the French Marigolds a go.

o

I never notice pests in my garden (except spiders but they are only pesty to me) I use marigolds (mixed packet), egg shells, and human hair. I have to knock wood now.

o

The french marigolds were trialed years ago and they worked (couldn't tell you for what), only only when a plant was surrounded by many feet of them.

The idea of interspersing a few here and there in a garden doesn't seem likely to do much. They are pretty though.

o

Hi,
I grew Park's Golden Guardian Marigolds last year. They looked pretty in the garden. I didn't have many because it was my first year and I only had a seed pack from Park's Seed Co. I saved some seeds, so I expect to have more this year. They claim that these are more effective on some nematodes than nematicides, but I just don't know. I can't remember everything I read about them, but Parks Seeds should be able to tell you more. I liked the way they look--loose and airy. The old marigolds we grew up with seemed thicker-stalked and stiff. These have small flowers but many branches and about the same height as cosmos or zinnias. When it got dry, they stood it much better than the zinnias or the cosmos.
zinia

o

But does interplanting marigolds reduce the nutrient intake of the plants you are trying to protect?

Or, how close is too close to plant them next to say eggplant or tomato?

o

I have done this for a few years now, and I haven't noticed any change to my tomato plants in terms of growth, but the marigolds in my tomato bed are much nicer than elsewhere in my garden. I think because I am more careful to make sure the tomatoes are well cared for. I tend to baby my vegetable garden more than my wife's flower garden. (It's not intentional, but if I only have a half hour free, I spend it with the 'maters, rather than the daisies!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here