Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Spanish Musica pole beans: do they go by another name?

spaghetina
12 years ago

I grew these for the first time last year after picking up a pack from a rack of Renee's seeds, and they were absolutely amazing; prolific, tender, sweet and HUGE... everything I could want in a bean. I've done numerous internet searches, and for some reason, I cannot come up with a single other seller of these beans, so I got to wondering if maybe they're more commonly known as something else.

I'm not wholly opposed to buying seeds from Renee's again, although I do find that for the price, the number of seeds one generally receives is disproportionately small, and I am a frugal (ok, cheap...) gardener.

Anyone have the skinny on these beans?

Comments (8)

• planatus
    12 years ago

I grew Musica last year, too, and look forward to growing them again. They put on at least four strong flushes of big, meaty beans that kept their tender texture a long time.

Renee Shepherd often finds European market varieties and renames them. I have no problem with this as long as she keeps bringing us varieties like Musica. Have you tried her tricolor pole filet mixture? Also amazing.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Abundant Life Seeds also lists Musica.

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ralleia, that was a great link! The way the writer feels about her beans, and those feelings of the commenters is exactly how I feel about Musicas. I also grew KY Wonder pole, Contender bush, and purple-something-or-other last year, and none could hold a candle to the musicas in taste or production.

Planatus, I had to resist trying her tricolor pack last year because I already had too many types of beans going in my garden, and wasn't sure I'd like the yellow ones, as I generally find them to be too... meh. I had planned on finally getting an early enough start this year to buy some Fortex seeds to fill the filet niche, but with your recommendation, I may have to rethink it, since I'd likely have to order them online and Renee's seeds are easier to come by.

Aftermidnight, THANK YOU! I used a couple different search engines and somehow never came up with anyone else who had Musicas.

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

You can sometimes see them sold as Smeralda.

DarJones

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Spaghetina - I also share your love for Spanish Musica beans and I heard it from DarJones when he recommended.
    I just came back from an Italy trip and bought a lot of beans, they are all called flageolets,lol, they are all white and different sizes, I love them!

I just made them recently with veggies from the garden, the red lime too.:)

{{gwi:17327}}

Hi Dar - Do you remember that one time I asked you about your pretty peppers? Well one of mine is over 7 feet tall,lol.

{{gwi:17329}}

Silvia

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dar, thanks for the info. :) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Silvia, they're really great aren't they? Your bean dish looks nice and veggie-filled, and that lime is quite amazing.

So hey, while we're on the topic of romano beans, has anyone had any experiences with Tamara, seen here? They look less wide than the Musicas, but are nice and long and look like they're borne in large clusters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamara bean seeds

• whgille
    12 years ago

Spaghetina _ I am a bean aficionado.:) I grow a lot of different beans each season and always like to try a new one. I grew tamara last season and while is good I don't remember like exceptional.
    Dar also recommended Blue Marbut which I like, for reds I like Jeminez, for a slender Emerite, for a long one Fortex and this season I have planted a lot of different ones. I plant like 6 varieties in one trellis.

Some beans from last season

{{gwi:17331}}

Silvia