Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndt5

How long do peas produce?

ndt5
11 years ago

This is my second year gardening. I am doing square foot gardening and in my pea bed (4x8) I would like to put the seeds in the ground here in about a week or two. I am using the Early Frosty Bush Pea variety. I'd rather plant everything at once and get a big crop where we can eat a bunch fresh and freeze the rest.

Last year, they stopped producing in July - but I didn't plant until April. If I plant on Feb 11th, my peas will be ready around April 16th. Will they produce that long (until July) if I keep them picked?

Same with other veggies... beans? cucumbers? I'm starting earlier than last year so this is new to me.

Thank you, I appreciate the responses in advance. :)

Comments (13)

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I've gotten 2nd crops from bush peas. Not as good as the first crop, but enough for eating. I usually don't take them out until July.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

My understanding is that they will go until the heat does them in, but like Ltilton says, the first flush is the greatest. I never get to find out, though, because our heat comes on fast, so one is all I get. :) Beans will go until frost, and it is a matter of keeping them well picked. Cucmbers I'm not so sure, I stopped growing them a while back. Cheers!

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Variety, variety, variety. Tall English peas( for the most part) will produce longer than the dwarf varieties is the same manner of pole beans versus bush beans. In Oregon you should not have to worry about heat like we do in the south. Many of the newer varieties are developed for commercial use. Machine harvest is a once over deal. Peas do well in GA in late winter early spring.
    {{gwi:17492}} {{gwi:17494}} {{gwi:17496}} {{gwi:17498}} {{gwi:17500}} {{gwi:17502}} {{gwi:17504}}

• glib
    11 years ago

It depends if you are near the coast or in the desert inland. Near the coast is one of the better places in the US to grow peas, because it is so mild for so long. Get some tall ones and enjoy many crops. In the desert is probably like most other places in the US, too short a season. I am one of many who have discontinued them, though I like them. If I need peas, I go to a U-pick and in a morning I have enough to freeze for the winter.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

In the desert (or harsh South-West other than New Mexico) peas are best planted in fall-winter for late-winter/spring harvest.

Crops of peas grown in the Spring are a crap-shoot, but Oct/Nov/early-Dec plantings can produce late-Feb/March/April harvestable peas. Once it regularly gets over 80F during the day it's going to slow to a crawl for flowers that produce pods.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 17:51

• ndt5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I was looking last night & it was saying that they only produce for 2 weeks? I know on the packet it says to plant every 2 weeks for a continuous harvest. That is what confused me.

We really liked the Early Frosty pea last year but it would be nice to grow a pole pea and get even more of a crop. We plan on eating as many as we can fresh and freezing the rest. Reason being, fresh is best so I was hoping they would produce until it got hot.

So, that being said.. to confirm.. this variety of peas will produce from April (planing in Feb) all the way up until it gets hot (around August)??

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

I have grown Frosty. Excellent pea, but two pickings is about all you should expect. Subsequent peas will be few and far between.

• tcstoehr
    11 years ago

Planting on Feb. 11 will not get you peas in April. They earlier you plant, the slower they will grow. In February in the Willamette valley peas will germinate agonizingly slowly assuming they don't rot first. They will grow slower than you can imagine. I'm not able to get peas before June no matter when I plant, although I grow the tall vines which I think take longer. You might try growing two different varieties or make several plantings staggered two weeks apart starting in mid March.

• shermthewerm
    11 years ago

Agree with tcstoehr. I'm not too far from Canby (Milwaukie). I'll be planting my sugar snaps (not sure of the variety, but it's a pole pea) after Valentine's Day, and I don't expect to be harvesting any until June. I do 2 20' rows, and I harvest a huge bowl every 2-3 days until the end of July, when I'm so tired of them I pull them and put in my fall crop of greens. The only reason I plant in February is because I'm so anxious to get out in the garden, but I'm sure the results would be about the same if I were to wait until March or April.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Planting in Feb, try warming your soil first with a plastic cover, then keeping it on until they sprout.

• rnewste
    11 years ago

You might want to give Oregon Giant Snow Peas a try. Here they are in my Winter garden this year:

{{gwi:17505}}

I stagger the plantings to get a long crop of them over the Winter / Spring:

{{gwi:17506}}

Raybo

• lonmower
    11 years ago

I live on the western edge of the Willamette Valley at an elevation of several hundred feet.

I have had very good success in starting peas indoors in plastic seed trays. Previous posters are correct, that whatever you do, you will not get a crop until June and depending on the spring rains you might have difficulty getting the seeds to germinate in the cold ground

• jonfrum
    11 years ago

One of the good things about peas for me is you can start them early, and then pull them and put in a second crop of something else. So I don't want my peas going on for too long. When I see them slowing down, I pull what's there and compost the vines, and then start a row of beets or carrots.