Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouting rutabaga - will it grow?

Posted by bomber095 z5b MA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 8:03

During a recent visit to my inlaws, I noticed that my MIL has a rutabaga sitting on her counter that has started to sprout at the top. Can these sprouts be cut off and planted in the same way that sweet potato slips can be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouting rutabaga - will it grow?

Well... you may get some root growth, and then again you may not. And you may get some top growth, and then again you may not. But you won't get a new rutabaga.

o

• Posted by skeip 4b / 5a WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 15:47

Because Rutabagas are biennials, if you plant the Rutabaga, ultimately you will get a big bushy plant and a flower stalk, and possibly seeds so that you can grow even more rutabagas.

o

Your MIL's rutabaga is beginning its second season of growth. The entire rutabaga can be planted in your garden. If it has not been trimmed too severely around the base it will develop roots and grow. If it grows it will develop leaves, then a large mass of yellow flowers which will later form seed pods. When the pods mature you will have an enormous quantity of seed.

So far as using that year old plant as starters for this year's crop, I don't know. I doubt it would work.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here