Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agretti

Posted by llaz z6 ma (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 10:00

Anybody have experience growing agretti? I've found a fair amount of information online, but it would be great to hear from someone who's actually grown it. I'd like to give it a try this year. I garden in coastal Massachusetts. Can it be grown in normal garden soil? When is the best time to plant it?
Lou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agretti

I can't help with your request, since I've never heard of this plant before your post. However, it intrigued me enough that I looked it up. Thought I'd post this link here for others who might be wondering what it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsola_soda

o

I was intrigued by Agretti enough last year to buy seeds. But then the rest of the garden took over and I never got it in. From what I understand it does not need saline soil but thrives in it. It does grow in CT and MA according to the vendor in MA I got my unused seeds from.

There are several variations of saltwort. Agretti appears different than the wild version on our sand dunes here and different from this Japanese Salsola

Here is a link that might be useful: Okahijiki (Land Seaweed)

o

Funny, both Scheepers and Johnny's offered Okahijiki for the first time this year and I ordered some. Johnny's tip was to harvest when young to avoid the plant getting woody.

o

Agretti (salsola sola, aka roscana, barba di frati, etc) does best if direct seeded in the spring, probably about the same time as you would start lettuce, beets, etc. 2-3 seeds every six or seven inches, thin to one. It is pretty slow growing at first (seedling looks kind of like a piece of broken stick) but once it gets going it does fine. It will not germinate when temperatures are really hot (say mid 80's or above). By then, however, the seed is usually no good; it only remains viable for seven or eight months after harvesting, so use it up the year you get it.

The Italian type, at least, you can allow to get fairly large (10" tall or so); in Italy they usually harvest the entire plant, root & all. It tastes pretty good, kind of like a mild beet green with a little salt.

Bill McKay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here