Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar bug spray

Posted by keepitlow 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 10:20

Was told that vinegar makes a good bug spray. Anyone try it?

If so, how do you use it? And will it work on squash bugs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar bug spray

Hmmm, I'd make sure that's documented. I'd be afraid that vinegar would burn the plants' leaves.

George

o

• Posted by grandad usu-9a LA/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 12:17

Keepitlow, you proably should have posted your question on the Organic Gardening forum. You are likely to get a few more responses there..

o

I've also seen vinegar listed as a good HERBICIDE! There is a lot of research out that using a 10% dilution, instead of the standard 5% of acetic acid in stores, is a great localized herbicide that won't harm plants that it doesn't come in direct contact with, as it dilutes very quickly.

I would search vinegar as herbicide and see what pops up!

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 13:19

Yep. It will get rid of the bugs. But it will do so by by getting rid of the aboveground leafy growth on your plant.

Beyond that, what kind of bugs are you after? For all sorts of soft-bodied kinds, periodically hosing off the critters works well.

o

• Posted by alicate SW Michigan, zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 9:00

I tried it and it killed every single plant. Of course, I used it straight and under grow lights. I thought one spray wouldn't harm the foliage but I was wrong. If you are going to do it, try diluting it. F

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here