Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden lime application

Posted by delprete upstate ny (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 11:13

being swamped by chores last Fall I neglected to apply lime to my garden which was in great need of correction.

I understand that several months are needed for ph amendment, but is there any form of lime that I can apply this Spring which might correct the ph and not harm my crops?

Any suggestions for anything I can do to help raise the ph so this year's garden won't be such a loss? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden lime application

Pelletized lime is a form more readily solubolized. If you purchase regular limestne at least read the label to insure that 98-99% will pass thru a 200 mesh screen. Finer is more quickly available. Since lime doesn't move well within soil, working it into the soil will help considerably.

o

Given that you are in upstate NY, there is probably little you could do right now, except collect wood ash, which can be spread on top of the snow. This will increase the rate that the snow melts, and will help raise pH. As soon as the ground is bare, even if it is still mostly frozen, apply your lime and go over the garden with a leaf rake to increase the contact with the soil. Once the ground is soft, incorporate it a little deeper with a cultivating tool. You might want to explore a more slow-release long-term pH adjustment to reduce the need for annual applications.

o

What I'm wondering is if the Spring lime application will adversely affect my potatoes and other crops. I understand that a Spring application can increase the incidence of scab, and if it takes several months to effectively raise the ph is it worth applying in the Spring?

o

is it worth applying in the Spring?

No unless you have some dormant areas you can put it on and leave dormant. Another less than ideal alternative is to apply it lightly between the rows under the mulch but keep it away from the potatoes.

Dave

o

Most farmers I know including myself never applied lime in any other season than spring... and for reasons I mentioned earlier- it either just lays on the soil surface until incorporated or if it gets dry enough and windy it will be your neighbor's lime.

I'm not saying fall liming is wrong but given the option I want it applied just prior to plowing or otherwise working into the soil. Thus the reason why no-till practices are recommended for 2-3 continuous years, after which you need to lime and then get the lime into the soil.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 8:55

I've had issues with potatoes getting "scab" in recently limed soil. Still edible, just not to pleasing to look at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here