Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Tasting Sweet Potato

Posted by pappabell 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 11:25

What is everybodys favorite Sweet Potato to grow,and why? I`m in zone 6............

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Tasting Sweet Potato

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 15:22

Have you heard of Purple fleshed sweet potato? I will try to find some to grow.

o

I like the Georgia Jet Sweet Potatoes. They do well here and have a great taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: GA Jets

o

I like Vardaman best for flavor, and they also have a bush habit rather than vining, so they're easier to cover to protect from deer (and they take up less space)

The only one I know not to bother with is Beauregard -- I personally don't like the flavor much, and others here have said the same.

o

Right now going with Red Wine Velvet and O-henry,But Dads favorite is Georgia Jet like wertach stated.

o

Trying to find Brazil White and Camote Morado(purple)slips,plants,But no luck yet...........

o

Considering Vardaman too,Like elisa said............Since my plans were to plant one 50 foot row next to the herb garden,The Vardamans would go well with the O-Henrys.

This post was edited by pappabell on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:57

o

The reason I don't really want to grow the Georgia Jets is because they grow too big and too far away from the plant.O-Henrys and Vardamans grow mainly right under the plant.Great taste and less space.I have 2 1/2 acres,But don't like my gardens to be out of control.......

o

Thinking about Brinkley Whites also

o

Keep the comments coming in,But right now thinking I will do 10 feet of O-Henrys,10 feet of Brinkley Whites,10 feet of Red Wine Velvets,and 20 feet of Vardamans.

o

My favorite is one that is variously called Japanese or Korean Purple. Red-purple skin, creamy flesh with a nicely nutty flavor and drier flesh. But I'll like any sweet potato you put infront of me with some salt and butter.

o

I love the O'Henry when it is candied.

o

Have been thinking of a purple one also sunnibel 7

o

Nancy Hall needs to be added to this list. It is a "yellow" sweet potato grown for flavor.

The purples need plenty of heat to do well, you may not want to push your luck with them if you are north of Zone 7.

I would not dismiss Beauregard and Covington. They make fine crops in a wide range of growing situations, resist diseases, store well and taste like a sweet potato should. I think their quality is much better than Georgia Jet, which will lunker if you get an early summer heat wave.

o

Thanks planatus,With such a wide variety,its hard to come up with a few to plant a 50 foot row

o

Maybe you already know this, but there is a difference between the "purple" I mentioned, which does fine in zone 7 (here) and others which are purple-fleshed. The purple-fleshed ones are those that need more heat. The one(s) I like are sometimes called Korean or Japanese Red also.

I like the purple-purple ones too, but they don't keep well so I've never been too interested in growing them. I pick them up occassionally at the Asain market instead.

o

Has anybody heard of or grown one called Becca`s Purple?Only see it in one website........

o

I really like the purple ones. To me, they are sweeter and have more flavor. Also, they are keeping much better than the orange ones ( comparing them to Vardman, Centenial, Bunch PortoRico and Beauregard all stored in the same room). Generally speaking the purples ones are smaller around and a little longer. However, I didn't have my soil prepared the way I wanted to last year and I am hopeful that this year I will do a better job of that.

The picture is of a purple sweet potato pie before I put it in the oven. It is all natural color and that is hard for some people to believe!

I am increasing my purple sweet potato planting to over 500 slips this year. No one grows them around here and I have the niche market for them at our Farmers markets. I will also be increasing my orange slips to about 500-600. Mostly Beauregard, but I will continue planting the other varieties, just to keep back potato for slip production.

Jay

This post was edited by jrslick on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 20:11

o

I just found this thread, saw the purple pie. I have to have one of my own now, so I just ordered 12 purple sweet potato plants online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here