Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify this vegetable please

Posted by David4040 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 11:29

Hi, I tried a fall/ winter garden for the first time and it worked out well. I'm hooked. I guess I got careless though because I planted a lot of different stuff but lost track of what this vegetable is. Can anyone tell by the pictures? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify this vegetable please

here is another picture

o

Look like collard.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:05

It's a young collard.

o

Looks like Collards--a cabbage family cool crop. Very healthy in any case.

o

Nice looking one, too. Wish mine looked that good.

o

Agreed with the Collard sentiment.

o

Collards. I live near Jax. Where do you live?

o

Thanks for the replys. Happy to hear that is what it is. Did'nt think I planted them, guess I did. I'll be trying this for dinner soon. I'm in Houston Zackey.

o

Looks like collars to me, although the second picture looks very much like it could be a brussels sprouts plant, but collards gets my vote

o

Bomber095 you instinct was right - brussel sprouts formed on the plant. I do have a pack of seeds. it looked unopened guess it sealed back up, sure don't remeber planting them, bad thing is now I don't have any collards

o

Yep.. I vote Brussels. At first I thought collard leaves also, but then the "skinnier stems changed my mind.

Kevin

o

I thought Brussels sprouts, but since I've never seen a collard and everyone was sure that's what they were, I decided I must be wrong.
When you finish the sprouts, or if you get plants which don't button up properly, you can cut out the top of the plant like a mini cabbage. Cut it about the size of your cupped hands. Sprout tops make delicious greens and are sold separately over here.

o

Flora_uk: I've never eaten the leaves of Brussels sprouts, but I'd be willing to bet they taste a lot like collards or kale. I bet broccoli and cauliflower leaves aren't too far off neither.

Kevin

o

Flora,

I really appreciate the information. I have 4 BS overwintered. They had no protection and are still bravely struggling along. I am going to try the tops in a salad when I finally harvest them. Are they tender enough for a salad, or do they need to be cooked?

Lynn

o

Kevin and Lynn - firstly I would only eat the sprout tops, not side leaves from further down the plant.You can cut out a centre piece about the size of a medium sized lettuce. They don't really taste like kale (I've never eaten collards), nor very much like Brussels sprouts. They have a flavour of their own which I like a lot.

Secondly, I don't know what they'd be like in a salad. I steam them or sweat them in a little butter but my guess is that they'd be a bit coarse and strongly flavoured for a salad. But nothing lost by experimenting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here