Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nindyck

how deep to plant transplants

nindyck
15 years ago

I know when transplanting tomatoes you can, and it is even recomended, to plant them up to their first leaves when transplanting. Does anyone know if planting other veggies like this is recomended?

Specifically Brussels sprouts.

Thanks

NINDYICK

Comments (9)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

Generally it is a good practice to set transplants a tad deeper. This helps to insure that they not dry out too easily and also protects against wind damage. I would not bury most transplants into the leaves including the cabbage family.

• nindyck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So alittle deeper wont hurt? Tomatoes will root out of their stems. Do you know what other plants do this?

Thank you

• gardenlen
    15 years ago

g'day wayne,

as tomato's will grow roots from up the stem, to get a stronger plant after transplant and to encourage more root growth, i pinch off the first and lowest juvenile leaves if they are still on the plant and then plant burying up to 3/4 of the length of the stem.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

A general rule of thumb - very general - is if the plant branches from the main stem, plant it deeply. If it branches from the root ball like leafy greens do, don't. There are exceptions of course (when aren't there?). But I always stick even my lettuces and spinach just a bit deeper for best results.

Root crops like carrots, beets, and onions are shallow planted if you used transplants for some reason.

Dave

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I always transplant all my plants as deep as they need to be, if they are a little leggy. I have done this with brussels sprouts also. For some reason brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower tend to get a little leggy when I grow them. I start all my seeds in flats and transplant them into their own pots, when they get big enough. Whenever I transplant them in their own pots I plant them however deep they need to be, and have never had a problem. Just plant them as deep as they need, they should be fine.

• brass_tacks
    15 years ago

What about beans? Can I transplant them up to their leaves? I have some in 4" pots with stems at least 4" high.

Also, should I pinch them to make them bushier. Where do I pinch?

• dave_f1 SC, USDA Zone 8a
    15 years ago

I don't think many would advise to transplant beans at all. The common practice is to direct seed beans since they hate to have their roots disturbed in any way. Plus they germinate quickly in warm soil. But if you already have transplants...I don;t know, I wonder that myself.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    15 years ago

For those of us in the Northern Tier, bean transplants can be very cost effective - especially pole varieties of beans, limas, and yardlongs, which give a lot of bang for the buck. Since I save my own seed, and grow some long-season varieties, they often make the difference between success & failure. However, DO NOT transplant beans much above their original soil line. They are very susceptible to fungal diseases & damping off if their stems are buried.

Same goes for squash, cukes, melons, and other members of the gourd family.

Tomatoes & peppers thrive when planted deep. I intentionally grow my transplants leggy to take advantage of this. To me, the perfect tomato transplant is one that I have to bury sideways in a trench, pinching off all but the top 3-4 leaves. Compared to bushy transplants planted vertically, they bear a little later... but once all of those extra roots get established, the heavier yield is worth the wait. That blasphemy would probably get me expelled from the tomato forum. ;-)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!