Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ettezus_gw

HELP! How many cubic feet?

ettezus
16 years ago

I'm wondering if someone smart at math can help me with a calculation.

I'm building a "square foot garden" bed of

1/3 vermiculite

1/3 peat moss

1/3 compost

the bed is 4x4 and 6" deep. How many cubic feet of each ingredient will I need?

Thanks for your help! :-)

Comments (15)

• alages
    16 years ago

http://www.onlineconversion.com/faq_01.htm

4x4x.5=8 sq ft
    8 sq ft / 3 (ingredients)= 2.67 sq feet of each substance

• grandpoppa
    16 years ago

I think you must mean cubic feet instead of Square feet!

• chaman
    16 years ago

4(feet)x4(feet)=16 sq. feet of area.
    4(feet)x4(feet)x.5(feet)=8 cubic feet of volume.
    I hope you will be able to find answer from this about the ingredients you want to use.

• anney
    16 years ago

Here's how to do it.

How do I convert Square (something) to Cubic (something)?

One of the most common questions I am asked, is how to convert square feet to cubic feet. My answer has always been, "You can't." Since cubic feet has an extra dimension, you could fit an unlimited number of square feet into cubic feet.

But then I started thinking about why someone would want to make such a conversion, and I guess it is possible in the real world, and decided to put the conversion up here. Though scientists might scoff and say that I'm not really converting square feet to cubic feet, I'm just adding the third dimension that is needed for cubic feet.

First off, why would someone need to convert square feet to cubic feet? As an example, lets say you have a 12 square foot garden, and you want to buy topsoil for it. Since topsoil is sold by the cubic foot, how many cubic feet of topsoil do you need for a 12 square foot garden? I will use this for my example.

The formula for Square feet is:

length à width

The formula for Cubic feet is:

length à width à height

Since we know the Square feet of the garden, we now have the conversion to Cubic feet:

(cubic feet) = (square feet) Ã (height in feet)

So.... If you wanted the topsoil to be 3 inches thick, you would need:

12 Ã 0.25 = 3

You would need 3 cubic feet of topsoil. [You must recalculate since you have a 16 square foot raised bed, and you want a depth of 6 inches or .5 in the formula. So you'll need a total of 8 cubic feet of soil, divided by three.]

Notice that I convert 3 inches to 0.25 feet before using the formula. All the measurements must be in the same units for it to work. And it will work for anything. Meters, feet, inches, just as long as all are the same.

Once again, here is the formula:

(cubic feet) = (square feet) Ã (height in feet)

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Here is a simple formula that lets you use inches for depth in calculating how many Cubic yards of material you will need for your projects. To calculate how much soil, mulch or rock you will need for your project, simply multiply length in feet times width in feet times depth in inches and divide by 324. EXAMPLE: L' X W' X D" /324
    or 25' X 25' X 1" = 625 /324 = 1.93 or about 2 cubic yards
    Have fun.
    Bill P.

• anney
    16 years ago

Ha! Different ways to do it, most with the same answer, so use whichever one works for you!

• fitlaura777
    15 years ago

I am buying a storage unit for outdoor cushions. It holds 25 cubic feet. Each cushion is 21x21 squared. How many cushions will this storage unit hold? Thank You :-)

• jbann23
    15 years ago

fitlaura777 - many dimensions can make up 25 cubic ft. Also not knowing how thick those cushions are make the calculation impossible. A storage unit of 2' x 3' x 4' would give you 24 cu.ft. but what size will yours be. There's bound to be empty space that the cushions don't take up too. See the dillema??

• paulc_gardener
    15 years ago

Just stuff the cushions in there till full. If you have some left, you can figure how big the next storage box needs to be.

• zeuspaul
    15 years ago

One cubic foot per cushion assuming each one is 4 inches thick. So it will hold about 25 cusions if you can stuff them in to fill the voids.

Zeuspaul

• fitlaura777
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your answers. We have a funny man
    in the house, very amusing paulc.....lol

• paulc_gardener
    15 years ago

Be on TV next week.

• queuetue
    15 years ago

If a train leaves NY for LA, going 65 mph and 8 hours and 25 minutes later a train leaves LA for NY going 88 mph, when they pass, which one will be closer to NY?

• jbann23
    15 years ago

They'll be the same when they pass, of course. How much did a five cent cigar cost in 1938?

• paulc_gardener
    15 years ago

I was born in 1939 so I don't know about the cigar. However I have often wondered how close a fly gets to the ceiling before he turns upside down to land?