Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Home Depot

lucillle
10 years ago

My relationship with Home Depot has its highs and lows, just like any relationship.
Today I am happy with them. They have 6 foot posts ($3.87) but what made me happy is that you can buy them online and they will deliver them. They were delivered today.
It would have been a Big Deal to get a bunch of them and get them home from the store.
They are destined to help hold up the wire fence I bought not too long ago (Also from HD) so the dogs to not get into the vegetable garden.

Comments (10)

• diggity_ma
    10 years ago

Good tip, thanks!

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Last year I built a fence around my son's garden for the same purpose. I bought 6 foot metal posts that you drive into the ground with a sledge hammer and a 4 foot high wire fence. I also bought 2X4s and hinges to build a garden gate. Worked great and the dogs did not get in.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

My HD is just around the corner. My best service EVER was when I went looking for a water filter (either for tap water or whole house. Just looking for advise) Waited around for about 10 minutes looking for someone to help me out!
    I poked my head out looking for the orange apron, to no avail!
    Finally, someone at the desk asked if I needed help! Yay!
    He and I looked over all of the water filters, discussing the pros and cons of each one. We probably spent a good 10 minutes together!
    He raved about one that his sister had used and loved! The only one left had been opened . I asked if there might be one in the back that was un-opened and he replied I don't know.....I don't work here!" LOLOLOL It was the best customer service I've ever received from HD! LOL Nancy

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Nancy: LOL. That is a trick I use though. I go to the service desk all the time. If they can't help, they usually make a call for somebody that can. But sometimes, even that person has no clue still.

Kevin

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I like Lowes alot more! Nancy

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Not a poster in this forum (I''m in the Heating and A/C Forum a lot), just saw the subject.

I'm a retired US Navy Submariner.

Be aware that BOTH Home Depot and Lowes offer a 10% Discount 365 days a year. If you have any difficulty getting the discount, ask to speak to the Store Manager. It is NOT a local option, it is national policy!!!

10 years ago

Nancy: They both actually suck for customer service. The only thing Lowe's does differently is they make a concerted effort to acknowledge you and ask if you need help. That's all fine and good, but when you start asking questions, they're still clueless.

saltidawg: 10% discount for what? retired? retired navy? anybody for anything?

Kevin

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

Military get 10% discount.

Customer service is hit or miss at both places. There are people that have knowledge and really want to help, and there are the rest. I feel bad for the ones who take pride in their jobs and do it well because all you see is complaints about the employees who don't. So thanks to the employees that care, and give good customer service at these stores :)

• emorems0
    10 years ago

I'm new to this forum and trying to go big with my garden this year so get ready for questions as spring approaches, lol.

Anyway, I've had both good and bad customer service at both Lowes and HD. Most recently was last Spring when I was trying to buy metal conduit to build my trellis frames. I went expecting to get a few pieces of 10' conduit cut to the sizes I needed and then connect them at home with 90 degree corner connections. Problem was, the first guy I found to help me said they couldn't cut conduit in the store and I knew I wouldn't be able to cut it by hand at home. The shorter pieces cost nearly as much as the 10' pieces so it would more than double my cost. Thankfully, a helpful employee was walking by and saw how frustrated I was with the first guy and stepped in to see if he could help. I told him what was going on and he says "oh yeah, we can cut that for you over in the plumbing department" THANK YOU!!!

For the most part, I've found the people in the gardening department to be completely useless. I've had pretty good service for the most part over in lumber though - usually get better service when I bring my sister and leave my husband at home, lol

Looking forward to hanging out here, I'm stepping into new territory in many ways with my garden this year and I'm likely to need help!

Melissa

10 years ago

Good luck with the new garden.

You can cut it at home -- a 5 dollar hacksaw does the trick in no time. I don't cut it though --- I slam rebar into the ground about 3 feet and then slip the conduit over it and drive that into the ground a foot or so. Slip on the corner pieces along with the horizontal, tie up those nylon trellis nets and voila!

You're right... garden center help is atrocious at both.

I have found that plumbing help is probably the most knowledgeable.

Kevin

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm