Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlsthmpsn

Preservatives in Hay

mlsthmpsn
10 years ago

I am planning to switch to a no-till straw/hay mulch in the garden this year, as last year I battled weeds like crazy.

I have been searching, but cannot find an answer to whether or not forage preservative sprays are garden safe.

Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

What forage preservative are you asking about, specifically? I grow, mow and bale all my own hay and neither I nor any one I know uses any such thing and never has.

Dave

• mlsthmpsn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Up here in Wisconsin, many farmers have began spraying the hay stream into the balers with a preservative (I think mostly organic acids) in order to prevent mold from spoiling the crop. It basically allows them to take it off the field faster (less drying time) and not have to worry as much about the moisture content being too high.

Its easy to spot the addition of a tank on a baler, with a bluish liquid in it....I've been noticing them more and more.

Here is a link that might be useful: UWEX Article

• mlsthmpsn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(erased duplicate post)

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by mlsthmpsn on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 16:09

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Interesting. Seems to be only an Upper Midwest issue due to drying times (not an issue here) per the linked article. Yet they never actually name the product used. If we had the info then we might be able to access its MDS sheet and answer your question.

Without the actual product name or at least a manufacturer name its impossible to discover anything more about it other than it is supposedly composed of "organic acids".

The article linked below is more informative.

Hay preservatives can be grouped into three categories; organic acids and their salts, ammonia-based, and microbial additives. Propionic acid is the most effective and most tested preservative available presently.

Propionic acid, if that is what they are using, is a carboxylic acid. It is naturally occuring so technically 'organic' but it is also clear in color, not blue, high in salts and not something one would want a great deal of in their garden.

However, from what I read the application rates are quite low - 0.5% to 1% - and the duration of the preservation is counted as less than 3 months depending on level of moisture in the hay and rate of application. So year old hay should theoretically be ok to use especially if it has been exposed to the elements.

But this is all speculation and guess work without knowing exactly what they are using. If ammonia then it is a whole other ballgame. So you are going to have to find out the exact name of the product in use for any real info.

I will add that even when using unsprayed hay, using what is called 'spoilt' hay, a year old bale is recommended. You can get the needed bales in the fall abd bust them open exposed to the weather and then use them the following spring if necessary.
    R.E.D. Facts USDA - Propionic Acid

Hope this is of some help.

Dave

PS: since it is a regional issue you might also contact your local county extension service and ask if they have any info on the use of the sprayed hay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hay Preservatives

• mlsthmpsn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank Dig,

I'll ask around before I get several bales. I saw that USDA fact sheet as well.

I was hoping for some real-world experience...the Extension agents up here are not what you guys are blessed with in AR. (I went to graduate school in Pine Bluff).

Best regards,

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ahh a Golden Lion alum! Fayetteville Hogs myself.

That's too bad about your extension services. I'd expect Wisc. to have a good set of offices given all the AG in the state. But then funding has been cut to extension services in many parts of the country. We are fortunate to have a better focus on it down here I guess.

Dave

• chervil2
    10 years ago

Propionic acid preserved hay should not present a problem for garden use since this chemical is readily biodegradable. The application allows hay to be baled with a higher moisture content and the bales typically appear greener. The end result is that nitrogen and other hay nutrients will be at higher levels compared to hay left longer on the field exposed longer to sun and dew.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

Agree that this is a non-issue. You probably have more acids on your garden cull pile from the salad dressings of left-over salads over the season.

I recall a pre Hay-Gard,etc. time when we would hand spread a full bucket of salt over every layer of hay stacked in the barn that was baled at higher moisture. The cows loved that hay but I'm not sure it would have been such a good hay to mulch with.

• mlsthmpsn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I was just thinking about the hay, if used as a mulch, would prohibit molds, fungus, and bacteria from breaking it down. I know propionic acid is naturally occurring and I do lime every once in a while, and should pose little threat to the plants.

I am planning to switch to the lasagna-style this year to see how it goes for weeds. I'm trying to get the wife out there to harvest more, since I work a lot during summer...and she has no idea what are weeds to pull vs. vegetables.