Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeding onions

Posted by bruce2288 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 14:30

Can someone give me an idea how thick to sow onion seed in flats to be transplanted in 8-10 weeks? The containers will be 5"x5". Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeding onions

I'd go with 25 seeds in each, If they seem to thick you can replant to new pots with less per pot.

o

As veggiecanner says or maybe a few more.

Jim

This post was edited by jimster on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 22:53

o

Here's a guy who's in business who does 200 seeds in what looks like a 5 inch pot. He's transplanting them to plugs before putting them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dense planting seeds

o

I agree that they can be sown very thickly and then separated after germination. I used to do it that way but have gotten lazy in my old age.:)

Now I sow in 1" squares - just use a stick to cut a 1" grid on top the soil and plant a couple of seeds in each square. The roots will form a thin mat of roots that is then easily cut into 1" squares for transplanting.

If transplanting them for green salad onions you plant them in large matted chunks.

Dave

o

looks like a whole bunch in this pot

o

I think you can seed onions and leeks about every 1/4".

I plant about 1000 per tray and each tray is about 20x16. (sorry if you've seen this picture before, I've posted it a few times already)

o

Thanks folks

o

Mine look like tn gargening's photo. I use cut down gallon milk jugs, and just dump the entire packet of seeds in each jug. When they get bigger, I'll sort some of them out into individual plugs before planting out in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here