Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

I've been reading about Hugelkultur and I'm interested

Then it dawned on me that I have used this method before without realizing it!

In 1981 I bought a 50 acre piece of land that was mostly pine in the area that I was planning to build the house on.

I had the pine harvested for pulpwood and hired a bulldozer to level and clean up the area. He just piled up the stumps and scrub trees along with the dirt in a low spot. It was about a 20' high and 30' wide mound.

After I moved in to the house about 8 months later, I was out at the pile in spring and I could feel the heat coming from the pile. Not really hot, but warmer than the surrounding area.

I had plenty of Martin gourd and pumpkin seeds that I had saved, so I just went around the mound sticking them in the dirt. They came up fast and grew like crazy.

Then after the weather had warmed more and I had my regular garden in. I put my extra tomato and pepper plants on top of the mound and stuck in a few bean, squash, eggplant, and seeds of other things randomly around the pile.

I didn't water, fertilize, or take much care of the plants. Everything on the mound did much better than my garden that I carefully tended. But due to the bulldozer work my garden didn't have much topsoil.

I had truckloads of Martin gourds and pumpkins. Too many tomatoes and peppers. I gave the to friends, family, and food banks.

Then I got a divorce and had to sell, so I don't know how it would have done the second year.

I have bunches of fallen, rotting, large tree branches, and several whole trees, mostly oak, sweet-gum, and hickory that I have to clean up when the weather warms.

I think I'll dig a hole with my backhoe, bury them and cover and see if it works!

Comments (8)