Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Chaerophyllum bulbosum?

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 14:41

Or Turnip rooted Chervil? This was growing in my neighbor's yard last year. Very nice looking plant (kind of want one myself now, whatever it is!). Too bad I didn't take a sniff at the foliage then...might have helped with the ID.

This is sure a hard family to ID! At first my mind led me to Myrrhis odorata, but that is more bush-y and not quite as tall right? I looked up Anthriscus awhile back, but obviously not it. Came across this chervil while looking up various species of Chaerophyllum. Never would have guessed otherwise!

This first pic is of the whole plant (sorry not very clear...)

id1_zps7545c092

This is of the stem. I did see a couple online pics of C. bulbosum that had the same powdery purple stems...

id2_zpsca068638

Lastly the flowers (although they all look alike in this family really, lol!).

id3_zps27c56687

Thanks so much for confirmation or a corret ID if this isn't what I suspect it is. ;-)
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Chaerophyllum bulbosum?

That looks a bit like hemlock or Conium maculatum? Poisonous thing.

The guys at Name That Plant! - GardenWeb forum are a great place if people here can't help.
They are like the zen of plant recognizer.

here is the link.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/?11246

o
RE: Is this Chaerophyllum bulbosum?

You may be onto something with that Conium ceth_k. Never seen it before. Although the pics of the stem on hemlock looks like it is more red-flecked than purple like my plant? It might turn a different color with age, not sure.

Thanks for the link, although I already knew about the forum. I was so sure (not now!) that it was something in the parsley/carrot family that someone on the veggie forum might know more. But thanks!
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here