Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamsupernova

My first real garden.

IAmSupernova
11 years ago

Okay, so May of 2011 I decided I wanted to try gardening. Rather than dive in all at once, I made sure it was a hobby I'd want to stick with. So I just had a little 12x3 foot plot of grass I dug up and threw in some peat moss and composted manure and threw in some plants. (Which you can see in some of the pics. It's getting torn out though) Had some failures had some successes, decided this is something I definitely want to do long term. So when income tax came in, I expanded.

The lumber:
{{gwi:22257}}
The dirt: {{gwi:22258}}
I wanted to dig down a bit to put the lumber in. That way the grass won't die underneath it and leave a gap.
{{gwi:22259}}
Assembly:
{{gwi:22260}}
{{gwi:22261}}
On top of the grass not dug out inside the bed went 3-ply newspaper, then cardboard, then dirt.
{{gwi:22262}}
And finished the beds off by heaping it, to account for settling and to give just a bit extra room for the plants roots while the paper/cardboard decomposes.
{{gwi:22263}}

I still gotta run the soaker hose and put together the trellises and poles and stuff. But I'm largely done, and it feels good. I already went and bought like 100 bucks worth of the mason jars, and I've had a vacuum sealer forever. I'm ready to start reaping the benefits of my hard work.

Comments (9)