Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first real garden.

Posted by IAmSupernova SE Texas 9A (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:44

Okay, so May of 2011 I decided I wanted to try gardening. Rather than dive in all at once, I made sure it was a hobby I'd want to stick with. So I just had a little 12x3 foot plot of grass I dug up and threw in some peat moss and composted manure and threw in some plants. (Which you can see in some of the pics. It's getting torn out though) Had some failures had some successes, decided this is something I definitely want to do long term. So when income tax came in, I expanded.

The lumber:
 photo Newbeds1_zpsdf7a556e.jpg
The dirt:  photo Newbeds2_zps2c154cb2.jpg
I wanted to dig down a bit to put the lumber in. That way the grass won't die underneath it and leave a gap.
 photo Newbeds3_zps5ea1ccda.jpg
Assembly:
 photo Newbeds4_zpsd3fd568b.jpg
 photo Newbeds5_zpse8a43dca.jpg
On top of the grass not dug out inside the bed went 3-ply newspaper, then cardboard, then dirt.
 photo Newbeds6_zpseec7768c.jpg
And finished the beds off by heaping it, to account for settling and to give just a bit extra room for the plants roots while the paper/cardboard decomposes.
 photo Newbeds7_zpsa3875346.jpg

I still gotta run the soaker hose and put together the trellises and poles and stuff. But I'm largely done, and it feels good. I already went and bought like 100 bucks worth of the mason jars, and I've had a vacuum sealer forever. I'm ready to start reaping the benefits of my hard work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first real garden.

Looks sharp. Good job on the extra support at the joints and board joins. Once that soil gets moist it gets heavy and those are generally the first places you see board cracking.

o

It's looking great!

o

I like the idea of the ramp to run a wheelbarrow up! I'm going to look for one! Nancy

o

That is from a pair of ramps you use to raise a car up and get underneath it, if you can't find something better suited to the task.

o

Nice Job! What kind of wood? Going to do a drip system?

o

Nothing specific. After researching I decided to just go with pressure treated lumber, and I'm using a 50 foot soaker hose in each of the bigger beds and a 25 foot one in the smaller one. The only downside is having to connect a regular hose to each one every time I want to water it. Just a minor inconvenience.

o

Need a facebook-ish "like" button. :)

Like!

o

I would love to do this! What's your estimated cost, if you don't mind me asking, at this point with just wood and dirt?

o

Dirt was just under 500 delivered. I think the lumber was right around 300-400 from Lowes (delivered).. I didn't just buy lumber from Lowes so I'm not positive of the exact total of just the lumber. It could be done even cheaper as I ordered both extra dirt and a couple of pieces of extra lumber. I ordered 9 cubic yards, but probably coulda got away with 7 if I was doing just the beds. I also used some soil for a herb garden and 2 berry patches (raspberry and strawberry).

The big beds are 4x20 feet and the smaller one is 4x12 feet. I want to say with just the lumber and dirt for these 3 beds it cost around 700-800. Delivery from Lowes was another 80 or 120 (don't remember which) so if you have a truck you can take that off too.. I didn't have a truck or know anyone with one so I had to pay extra to have my stuff delivered to my house.

This post was edited by IAmSupernova on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 14:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here