Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmarie_

Planting Dates

LynnMarie_
11 years ago

Hi all. I am ready to get busy planting. I was wondering if anyone besides myself was considering planting a little earlier in the season than normal since the weather has been warmer this year? If so, how much sooner? I am afraid if I wait until the normal time, the weather will turn too hot too soon and I wont get the harvest I could have if I started sooner. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Lynn

Comments (19)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Plant what now in zone 5?

From previous discussions here I think many are planning to push the early envelope this year with some crops, especially those most affected by the summer heat. And planning methods of cold protection if needed at the same time.

But now? Not here. It will be a couple of weeks before I even start any vegetable seeds in the GH and even then it will be a good 2 weeks earlier than normal. Planting them out only after intensive weather forecast monitoring.

There are exceptions of course - garlic was planted last fall and so were lots of onions. More onion plants went in the garden this week but that is the normal planting time for them here.

Dave

• japus
    11 years ago

Hi LynnMarie
    I was ready in Nov., matter of fact I started a kohlrabi plant in August in a 10 gal container.
    8 seeds and have 6 plants still going.
    Their a little upset at this cold weather, hopefully they will over come.
    Just received a Bio-Dome from Park Seeds.
    This will be my first year doing serious seed starting, anxiously looking forward to it.
    As soon as I get the time to start, I'll plant seeds, watch them and replant if necessary.
    Hopefully I have some to transfer.
    I put up a cold frame in one of my raised beds last fall, should be ready to start some things as soon as the single digits have left PA.
    Good luck and I'll follow this topic

• thegreatcob
    11 years ago

two weeks early and two weeks late are how you should judge planting dates.

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Digdirt,

I am ready, not rash. ;) I am just considering pushing up my dates by a couple of weeks. Like japus, this is my first year planting everything from seed and I would like to be as successful as possible. I have carrots (i know-direct seed, but im trying it) scheduled to start inside under lights mid February along with broccoli and Brussels sprouts. (According to the info I have been able to dig up, should work for my area??) If I push up my dates, it would be time to start them indoors soon.

I already have leeks, asparagus, and now onions started inside. But they are on my (admittedly inexperienced) schedule. I guess it has whet my appetite and I'm looking for an excuse to start more. It is intoxicating to see those little guys poking their little heads through the dirt for me. And one of my asparagus seeds pushed up TWO little stalks :) I was so excited. (I try to share with my kids but they don't get it--you are such a dork, Mom!)

I was just curious what others thoughts or plans were concerning starting a little early. I may just take the chance and go ahead and do it (seeds and soil be darned!).

Lynn

• ltilton
    11 years ago

With seeds in particular you aren't risking a lot to plant early. If they don't make it, you can replant.

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, thank you, why am I worried? Seeds are cheap.

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, thank you, why am I worried? Seeds are cheap.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Lynn:

Peppers and tomatoes can always be started early if you have the lights(and warmth) to keep them under. If they seems like they're outgrowing a container, just pot up. And if flowers start to form, you can always snip the early ones.

Kevin

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

Lynn:

I am in North Central Kansas and I am starting seed today to plant into my high tunnels around March 15th. They should have been planted several weeks ago, but that is how it goes! I am planting tomatoes. If you are planting outside, you may want to slow down. I plant my tomatoes and peppers that I am selling in early March for sale in Early May. I am also starting Kale, napa cabbage, bok choy, swiss chard and cilantro. All of these are also going into high tunnels.

Jay

• luckynes13
    11 years ago

I would plant back up plants and keep them inside in case you get a late frost. Which can happen. Also, be ready for frost warnings have cover ready in case needed.

Just be prepared. I have planted out early, and had everything killed by frost before. Last years warm weather was bad for fruit trees, because we had a late frost that killed everything.
    Just saying that early warm weather isn't always a good thing and it can get cold again quick.

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the input.

I do have some lights and will be getting a couple more this week, so I can hang onto some plants inside if the weather doesn't warm up as expected. I don't really have much in the way of protection, just a small amount of remay cloth and a couple of old bed sheets. I hadn't thought of starting extras in case I lose some to frost. That is a great idea. I was thinking I would start over when I lost them. Instead, I will start twice as many as I want and then I will have the extras already going. Very obvious, but sometimes I have to be told the obvious stuff. :)

Jrslick, that high tunnel idea is great! But it will have to wait until I have much more funds than I have now ;) And maybe until I find someone with some construction skills.

In the meantime, I am suppressing my planting urges by making seed tapes. It kills a little time in the evenings and will save me a ton later. I hope.

Again, thank you all for understanding!

Lynn

• luckynes13
    11 years ago

One way you can save money, and protect plants is bubble wraps. Save sheets or big bags. Great for covering up plants.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I remember when I was a lad that we sometimes used what they called hot caps. They were nothing but light cardboard that domed around each plant with a opening in the center. It used the ground heat as well as the sun to help extend the season. They should be easy to make with very little work.

• Mark
    11 years ago

It's exciting to get started gardening at the first warm spell, and to plant from seed is an amazing experience. But do keep in mind that spending a long time babying plants, only to have them fail because you pushed it can be a very disappointing experience.
    If you are the type that can take it in stride and just try again next year, go crazy. But if you spend 3+ months growing carrots; Seeding in dixie cups, babying them until they go in the ground, weeding, watering and babying them some more, only to harvest 2" long, forked and cracked carrots....it could be a major bummer and disuade you from trying again. (maybe direct seed next time :)
    Same thing for the Kohlrabi that Japus planted in august. If it goes to seed before swelling it's stem, after all this time, will that turn into, "I don't like growing Kohlrabi?", or "it just doesn't work for me".

Among other things, gardening involves balancing patience with having fun (and maybe some reckless abandon, why not?). I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong by starting early or trying new ideas. I'm just suggesting that finding that proper balance is different for everyone.

-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 16:11

• japus
    11 years ago

Mark
    Hi there you some good points, I agree with all of them.

"Same thing for the Kohlrabi that Japus planted in august. If it goes to seed before swelling it's stem, after all this time, will that turn into, "I don't like growing Kohlrabi?", or "it just doesn't work for me".

Last August I had an empty pot, seeds left over, good soil, great weather, and a glass of cold beer...LOL ...and I just tasted my 1st kohlrabi from a local farm...I was hooked.
    I think this is what may have precipitated my cold frame work, never expected the little kohlrabi to flourish during the late fall as it did, I grew to love the little plants, almost named them each. I'll never say never though !! I love a challenge, if they go bad, I'll keep going till I get it..
    Cucumber beetles, giving me a huge challenge and I'll beat them little buggers yet,,I am having loads of fun, many challenge's now and in the future, ( I HOPE )
    Chipmunks eating all of my sunflower seed, planted in the ground...LOL....wife feeds them, I shoot them....crazy huh ?
    All this came about after making 4 raised beds that replaced a garden that never worked . oh I forgot more challenges, deer, bear, skunks, you name it we have em..
    Groundhogs visiting my poor sickly broccoli..one got so fat eating nine plants just leaving short stems I cant figure how he got away...I could go on and on, my only regret is
    The long wait till the next planting season
    Your so right in trying to find that proper balance, I don't think I have one...
    Jimmy

• luckynes13
    11 years ago

If you want to get an early start there are some veggies you can plant outside in early spring. Peas, spinach, lettuce maybe.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Lynn
    You said the weather is much warmer this year. On which planet do you live? We are freezing here. One of my Citrus leaves froze although it is in the garage with a heater. I was looking today at my potted Blueberries outside I found that the soil is frozen and as hard as rock. I hate cold winter. If the soil temperature is not 55-60 all these early planting is wasted efforts.
    Abe

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Lynn
    You said the weather is much warmer this year. On which planet do you live? We are freezing here. One of my Citrus leaves froze although it is in the garage with a heater. I was looking today at my potted Blueberries outside I found that the soil is frozen and as hard as rock. I hate cold winter. If the soil temperature is not 55-60 all these early planting is wasted efforts.
    Abe

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Abe,

You mention the frozen state of your potted plants while I wonder at the UNfrozen state of my garden. Here, the ground should be frozen solid right now, never mind the above ground stuff. Nonetheless, my garlic and daffodils are sending up shoots, and I am going to get some manure and rototill it into the garden expansion I am working on this weekend. ( I'm gonna scratch that itch!- Weather Permitting :) )

Lynn

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County