Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hope this is true!

Posted by VivVarble 8B (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 15:12

Link to an article I read about stink bugs and the possibility that this insane weather may have at least one positive side effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stink bug article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hope this is true!

I hope so too. Here, a local entymologist from the U of IL fielded a similar query the other day. He indicted most pests would survive--the exception being Japanese beetles. We had hoped this winter would halt the emerald ash borer, but it's unlikely. Insects are great survivors.

o

"Insects are great survivors."

Especially in urban or suburban areas, where they can take shelter in heated human structures. Unfortunately, that is where most vegetable gardens are located.

I too am hoping that the severe cold will reduce some insect pests... and since JB are just beginning to move into my area, it wouldn't break my heart to slow them down for a year or two. Maybe SVB will be reduced too, if we are lucky.

o

I'm not holding out too much hope for the deep freeze killing the stinkbugs since they like to overwinter in people's houses. Judging by the fact that we've picked up and flushed at least one a day all winter long (yes, even when it was below 0) and during this recent warm up (in the 40s), we've had more like 2-3 a day. We got horrible swarms here last year and I have no doubt that my attic and siding are full of them just waiting for warmth to emerge and harass us again.

This year, I'm planning on treating the house (inside and out) with cedarcide. It's the only thing that I feel comfortable using around my kids and pets (and my garden) - it's made from cedar oil. I may even use the outside stuff (PCO Choice) on my pear trees after petal fall. It doesn't affect sight-driven insects like bees and butterflies and other important pollinators, just scent-driven ones like fleas, ticks and stink bugs.

The stink bugs were so bad last year, when they swarmed it was like something out of a horror film... and my husband wonders why my girls are afraid of them, lol. They also ruined my whole pear crop last year. I'm not ready to put faith in the freeze killing them off, not considering that I've had the little pests in my house all winter. I'm going to be proactive this year to make sure we don't end up with a repeat of last year.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: cedarcide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here