Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrots & Tomatoes

Posted by jwr6404 8B Wa (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 15:43

Wanting some opinions from you folks in GW Land. I plant Tomatoes in Large(20gl) Pots every year. I'm considering planting carrot seeds in with the Tomato plant at the same time I transplant tomato to pot. Good idea Bad idea? If a good idea any recommendations for Carrot variety. One reason for planting carrots was to provide a little shade for the Tomato roots with the added benefit of a few tasty carrots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrots & Tomatoes

You have to keep in mind the 2 primary problems with growing in containers - providing consistent moisture and providing consistent nutrient levels throughout the season. Adding additional crops to a containers can change those demands.

Two crops with the same nutrient and water requirements, assuming sufficient room in the container, should be no problem. But crops with different nutrient and water needs, crops that will compete with each other, is a problem and can be detrimental to both.

As a general rule, blooming/fruiting crops have different nutrient and water needs - both in amounts and timing - than root crops do so carrots wouldn't be my first choice. But the best way to learn is to give it a try and discover if it works for you or not.

Many grow basil in with their tomatoes or marigolds or leafy greens like lettuce or spinach or even a bush pickling cuke.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave
Will forgo the Tomatoes & carrots together in a Pot.Here in my area of the PNW Pots do very well as we have ample Rain and will usually have only 1 day above 90. Some years we will suffer from extreme Heatwave with 2 days above 90 degrees in a year.

o

I can grow just about anything in my veggie garden except carrots. Why? The soil is a bit heavy with clay and I don't add much to it, but for many years I've tried and tried. Think I'll give a container a shot. Any suggestions on soil mix and kind of container?

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing gardening tools

o

AliceMae, you might want to try round carrots--these are sold under different names, such as Paris Market. They are really round! They grew better for me, though you do have to want small carrots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here