Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moo_

Farm Produce Stand- What should we name it?

moo_
16 years ago

We're going to start operating a farm produce stand this summer in our small town and we need a nifty name.

I'd like to use the towns name in it so people where know where it is. ex. Smallville Produce. But, of course, that's just too boring and has no pizzaz.

We'll be selling fresh veggies, hay and straw, farm cut posts and lumber and some bedding plants and hanging baskets.

The building is a small garden shed done in the Colonial style with a cupula on top with a rooster weather vane.

It's going to be very informal and "back porch" like in atmosphere.

I'd love some good ideas for a name. Surely you've seen a farm name or something that you thought was clever?

Thanks, Moo

Comments (87)

• aclum
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Moo,

Well... since you asked ...

Your vision for (let's call it Moo's for now) Moo's sounds fabulous! Will your budget
    allow you to "start out big" with everything you describe, or will you gradually work
    into it?

It sounds like you have incredible resources in terms of food products to work with.
    If it's doable financially, I can picture a deli to one side of the store that includes an
    outside take-out window for people wanting to eat at the picnic tables. You need to
    check all the local zoning for this, of course, and for a business serving food, you'll
    have to comply with the state's health department rules and regulations. At least in
    California for restaurants (not sure about take-out), you have to have separate men's
    and women's restrooms (with handicapped access, I'm sure) and things like a 3
    compartment sink plus a hand sink and mop sink and dishwasher reaching a certain temperature.

If you can do a deli/take-out operation using the products available to you, I think you'll
    get alot of additional business. You'd be an attractive alternative to a Denny's or McDonald's
    to people traveling down the interstate. You could offer fried catfish, BLT's with your rustic
    bread and heirloom tomatoes, Greek Salad (tomatoes, red onions, feta, and olives), an heirloom
    tomato salad (with basil and mozzarella chunks), steamed or boiled "fresh off the farm" corn on
    the cob, gazapacho or vichysoisse in cups, a cool ratatouie with rustic bread, salad nicoise (lettuce, olives, cooked but chilled green beans and potatoes and tuna), berries in cream, fudge, watermelon, etc. In effect, it would sort of be like giving people free samples of your offerings, except it wouldn't be free . (If you're serving food, I guess "Moo's All You Can Eat" that I suggested earlier isn't such a great name LOL!).

Anyway, I think if you want to be a "destination," it makes sense to serve food. It doesn't have to be fancy - just good (and relatively quick). People would come in, maybe look around a bit, then have lunch (or brunch), relax in your gardens a bit, and then come back in and shop
    before heading back home. Conversely, people coming out for your bedding plants, baskets, etc., might decide to have a quick bite to eat before heading home, and end up buying produce
    they hadn't particularly had in mind when they set out on their journey.

Another plus of serving take-out food is that you'd have a ton of great material for your compost piles!

Other ideas (you're probably sorry you asked by now LOL!) .... On the recipe cards for the produce make sure everything on the ingredient list is available for sale in your store (except for
    staples that most everyone is already likely to have at home). If you have the space, it might be nice to offer some specialty cookware for vegetables (asparagus steamer, grilling basket for veggies, garlic press, corn on the cob plate, etc.) and a few good cookbooks featuring vegetables.

Oh, I think a previous post mentioning milk in returnable glass bottles was interesting. People will HAVE to return if they want to get their deposit back.

Guess that's enough for now. Your project sounds REALLY exciting! Good luck with it!

Anne

• esobofh
    16 years ago

Smallville's Last Stand!

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi,

A quick PS to my last post...

If setting up a kitchen is more than you want to do the start out, much of what you sell could be cooked off-site (cold soups, quiches, ratatouille, etc.) and just kept chilled prior to sale from a refrigerator case, and salads could be sold in bulk form in the deli area rather than made to order. Possibly corn on the cob could be cooked in a microwave? If you wanted to offer hot items (like fried catfish, or various veggie fritters, tempuras, etc.), perhaps you could contract to have a catering truck on premises to do these items??? Might be a good way to start out without having to invest too much in equipment and insurance, etc.

Just seems like all of the big, successful, destination "produce stands" (as well as places like Whole Foods) offer food to eat on site as well as the raw ingredients and deli items to go.

FWIW,
    Anne

• moo_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anne,
    The food idea is just too much. First of all it would require too much of my building area, additional employees, and too much money for equipment.

Plus, my heart isn't in a cafe'.

We have a nice corn dog, sandwich vendor right accross the road who would love some attention. It's cute and clean and the people are wonderful. I'm happy to let her have that business with the exception that I will sell lemonade, coffee and perhaps some sweet treats.

Thanks!

• anney
    16 years ago

Moo

I thought the idea of food preparation was way beyond what I thought you were aiming for myself.

I was going to suggest picnic tables instead, for people to bring their own lunch to, and drink your lemonade, but east Texas is just way too hot for even that in the summer. Well, except for kids who don't seem to be bothered by the heat the way adults are. Maybe under a shady tree. Put up hummingbird feeders by the windows or on the porch!

I used to live at the last end of nowhere in North Carolina, and until a few years ago, the general store (town about 300) sold cold drinks from a box cooler, even the Cokes in bottles that were ice cold. The old men would hang around in the daytime, sitting at a table back in the corner, smoking, drinking their Cokes, and playing checkers, while other folks came and went. They sold fishing gear and worms, penny candy, and a few garden implements, so I am guessing this is the sort of small-town ambience you'd like, even if it's essentially a garden stand and not a general store.

It'll come together for you when you get enough ideas and sift through them! It sure sounds like fun to plan, even if you have to cut back on your dreams at start-up.

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Moo,

I can understand that - I'm afraid alot of stuff just popped into mind when you mentioned catfish, cheeses, and baked good (used to be in the restaurant biz).

Maybe the take-out business and/or deli would be something for the future. Sounds like you have enough other great plans going on for now!

Anne

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Again,

Wanted to add, that I'm just not sure I'd drive 30 miles out of my way for produce (no matter how good it was) and the other items you mention in your OP, a garden setting, and a "bring your own" picnic setting. I'd probably stop in if I were in the area, but I don't know if I'd make a special trip. But I guess it depends on what else is within a 30 mile or so radius as competition - nurseries, a Whole Foods Store, parks, or other other things that might be more convenient for people.

I can see the ambiance of the scenario presented by Anney as very attractive for locals or people passing through, but I'm not sure that it would be enough to get people to drive 30 miles out of their way.

JMHO!!
    Anne

• jimster
    16 years ago

Moo, it isn't easy to start a business but I think you are being realistic and you have a solid concept. Keep focused.

The more I think about the name, the more I prefer Moo's Market to Moo's Garden. It has a snappier sound. I don't think the name is the most important part of your plan, but it helps.

Good luck. I wish you great success. I'll pay a visit when you are up and running.

Jim

• yfchoice
    16 years ago

Here's my 2cents worth.

Miss Moo's Mulches....and More.

With this name you can start out with fresh veggies and add anything else you want later. Where in East TX is Smallville? Ex-inlaws used to have a farm in Teneha...or was it Timpson? Anywhere close to that?

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Yoo Hoo Moo's. Some excellent names already suggesdted. Throw a steak or two on dry ice in a chest and call it Moo's Steak Market, and produce, or all the trimmings.
    Bill P.

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Moo,

For some reason, I've had trouble posting this (maybe I should take the clue ... but I'll give it one more try before turning in for the night...
    ------------------------
    Another PS ...
    I wasn't thinking about a "cafe" - just a sort of funky little take-out window from the deli area with some of your offerings - self serve and on paper plates with plastic "silverware" and trash cans around for people to clear their own tables (one can labeled "plastic" and another other labeled "other or everything else" - to simplify your composting).

Interesting about the corndog stand - maybe you could do something with them?? I'm just thinking about your mention of catfish. This brings up the point of "competition." I think that, especially in a small town, you wouldn't want to do anything to take business away from others - maybe you could collaborate with the corndog stand to benefit both of you? If they've got a fryer for their dogs, they could probably also do the catfish you have access to.

Again, FWIW!
    Anne

• moo_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all!

I have a new idea for a name! It came to me last night-

The Fussy Hen (then under that) "Particularly" Good Produce
    and Fancy Flowers
    ??!!!

I guess you'd have to know me, but it fits me! I'm not a perfectionist but I am picky about things, especially food.

I think it's memorable at the very least!

OK, what do you think?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

I like it! Sounds like a place I'd like to shop.

Produce and flowers sound like good products to start with. If you see you can handle more, you can always expand. However, if you start with too much and don't do it well, it is hard to take away the negative impressions people formed.

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Moo,

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the term "fussy" has mainly negative connotations to me (think of a "fussy" baby) and doesn't seem to fit with the fun, laid-back, relaxed atmosphere you're trying to create. You can check the word out on thesaurus.com. There are lots of positive meanings, but also alot that are negative. I imagine that different regions of the country might use the word differently and it might have more of a positive feel in your area, but for me, the name doesn't really work. JMHO!!!

I do like the idea of a farm animal in your name. Lends itself to a neat, memorable logo.

Anne

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Again,

How about "Moo's Back Porch - Fabulous Flowers and Premium Produce?" You could have a logo with a smiling cow sitting with legs crossed in a rocker on a back porch and with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a bowl full of produce cradled in its lap?

Anne

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi (yet again),

Sorry for all these short posts and afterthoughts, but my computer keeps crashing on me so things come in fits and starts.

On "fancy flowers" - I'm not sure what you mean by that but, to me, it sort of indicates that you're selling some sort of exotics, rather than a full range of flowers including more "everyday" types, like roses, daisies, etc.

On "particularly good produce" - to me this is like you're selling B+ produce (the high side of "good"), not excellent (A+) produce.

In other words, the flower description seems sort of limiting and the produce description sounds a bit too modest.

JMHO!!!
    Anne

• nygardener
    16 years ago

The Garden of Eatin'
    Smallville Back Porch
    Flowers and Feast
    Set a Spell - Farm Stand & Gardens

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I've been lurking since I suggested my names just to see what people would come up with. I love "The Garden of Eatin!"

• graanieb
    16 years ago

Moo, it's got to be exciting and a lot of work for you and family, children too I suppose? Imagine your husband would like to be included in the name? How about using your last name in the name? Or:

John(?) and Moo's Garden Goods
    John and Moo's Garden of Eatin? (thanks Booberry)
    Moo's Home Grown & Homemade

Good luck,

Bea

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

Moo's Garden Market

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    16 years ago

OK, then, how about "The Picky Hen" - Particularly Excellent Produce?

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

"Moo's Choice Produce"

"Moo V's" (w/painting of veggies)

"Smallville Bigtime Produce"

"Fruits, Roots, and Leaves by Moo"

• moo_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Zeedman, those are cool!
    Although that last one might get me investigated!

I'm finding it really hard to decide!

Thanks! Moo

• billtex
    16 years ago

moo's farmers market or moo's veggie mart

• mommymammal
    16 years ago

How about "Moo's Marvelous Market." Nothing like a little alliteration to catch attention.

Homemade jams and jellies would be nice. No refrigeration needed, and it's something most people don't make for themselves (more's the pity...).

• greenthumbnick
    16 years ago

Hey Moo,

How about ""insert town name here> Garden Spot".

Where in East TX are you? I live in Longview. I may want to come get some of that goat cheese. When are you opening?

• Belgianpup
    16 years ago

Miss Moo's Market

• jmzms
    16 years ago

My two cents...I actually like "the fussy hen". In a small town like yours, it would be considered "quaint" by those who don't know you (the passers-through). And those that know you would know what you meant.

I can't tell you how many little antique shops and kitschy places I've seen and been to with names like that. Plus, I can see the fun you'd have with a logo.

I would absolutely start small and grow the business. Produce, flowers, and I liked the idea of jellies/jams (things you've made from your produce).

Best of luck.

• moo_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's official!

Moo's Garden & Market LLC

Opening Fall of 2008!!!

Thanks to all!!!

-Moo

• anney
    16 years ago

Yay!!!!!

Have fun, Moo!

• jimster
    16 years ago

Best of luck, Moo!

I have confidence in you.

Jim

• emmayct
    16 years ago

Excellent Moo! Hang on to your dream.

In the beginning, focus on what you know the best, the rest will follow.

Be sure to include in your advertising and logo that you offer "simply the finest and freshest produce" and "the most beautiful plants and premium hanging baskets to make your home an oasis of peace and relaxation."

Ok...a little long winded but you get the drift.

Also, as tacky as some find it, coupons for 10 percent off also bring in business.

Ultimately, it is your personality and hospitality that will bring in the return customers who will be more than happy to spend money on great product. It will be hard work to cultivate the beautiful image that you've projected, but you can do it!

Good Luck! Maryann in CT

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    16 years ago

Yay Moo!! If you can, when you get your stand up and running, take a picture and post it here so we can all celebrate your opening with you!

• moo_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh thank ya'll!!

I really appreciate the comments and the advice.

I've just taken my "before" pics of the site and can't wait until it's finished so I can post the before and afters!

Now, I'm hard at work with building plans, fixture finding, start up costs, and narrowing down what we'll carry and what we won't.

For every idea I dispose of it seems like two more pop into my head! I'm loving it!

Thanks for the support ya'll. I mean it! -Moo

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

I like "Miss Moo's Market"

• ralph31558
    16 years ago

Moo:

Why not just name it what it is, "Farm Fresh Produce"

• chaman
    16 years ago

Moo's Locally Grown Produce Stand.

• steven75647
    16 years ago

Use your last Name.Please let us know when your open, over here in Liberty city

• diginado
    16 years ago

I can't wait until the fall, when you open and we get "The Weekly Moos" - best of luck!!!

• ardent_learner
    16 years ago

Well, good luck Moo's Garden & Market LLC! I hope you're a sweet success. I'm sure this must be such fun. :)

• ardent_learner
    16 years ago

Well, good luck Moo's Garden & Market LLC! I hope you're a sweet success. I'm sure this must be such fun. :)

• moo_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi! Just touching base. We're working feverishly on the shop and I'm havng a ball! I'll get pics ASAP.

It's surpassing my expectations! This little produce stand is developing a life of it's own and the locals are waiting with baited breath for me to finish! Isn't that nice of them to act so excited? They're nice folks.

I don't want this to turn into an advertisement, that is not my intention. I'm just so excited and ya'll were so great in helping me with the name.

Already though, I've gotten some mail addressed to "Moose Garden and market" ahh well....

Happy Happy Happy!!!!!
    -Moo

• suseart
    15 years ago

I picked up this thread by accident and enjoyed it. Did you ever get pics that you could get back to us with? I would love to hear the story of how it's going, and am sure I'm not alone...

~Susan

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you are keeping us in the loop! We too are waiting on baited breathe, those of us who have followed the thread since early this year! Glad it's coming along and can't wait to see pics. I doubt I'll get over to see it, but I wish I could shop there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

• moo_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI! I got a lovely email that this thread had been retrieved so I'm here to give an update!

Actually, I've been so consumed with this project that I haven't even been to the forum.

The store is going to open October 1!!!!!

It's called "Southern Seasons" and it's in Shelbyville, TX.

I actually got my LLC with Moo's Garden & Market but I found that I had to spell and explain too much with this name. Plus I kept getting mail addressed to Moose Gardens (?) I found Southern Seasons explained that concept much better.

If someone will post the "code" on how to paste a picture I'll be happy to show you the progress. It's quite a transformation!

It has been my passion to make this store THE store that I would want to shop at. It must have everything that I find enjoyable in a store. I think I might have done it, for the most part.

First of all, we are all about the seasons. When we open in October I'm having a half a semi load of pumpkins delivered for sale and display. Their premium pumpkins from West Texas in all sizes shapes and colors. These bear NO resemblance to your Wal Mart or grocery store pumpkins. There is big and tiny, red and white and blue and orange, tall and fat and even some with warts!

My husband and I bundled up corn shocks from our garden for decoration, I'm going to Louisiana for a load of barley and wheat straw bales. We'll have mums and snapdraggons, panseys, and fall garden veggie plants.

The day after Thanksgiving, all the Fall stuff goes to the cows to enjoy and in comes the Fraser Firs from North Carolina. I'm getting table top sizes for my older customers who find large trees too much to deal with.

Then comes spring with hanging baskets and beddding plants, fountains and bird baths, feeders, wind chimes, sun catchers etc.

Back to October-
    Inside the store is seperated into two sections which I lovingly call womans world/man's world. The theme of the whole store is based on entertaining at home. Whether it's a formal dinner party, backyard cookout, or a cozy evening at home alone, I have what you need! - Let me explain!

The ladies side will greet you when you walk in with a huge centerpiece of fresh cut flowers (which are for sale) and often times a fruit and vegetable centerpiece like a pomegranate and lemon topiary or such. I also carry Colonial Candles, and sachets and poporri from Sentations, candle sticks & georgeous table runners.

Wine, iced tea, rocks, shot, martini glasses, pitchers, stirrers, decanters, swizzle sticks both silly and classic. Trays to carry your cup and saucer, the BEST music CD's ranging from jazz to love songs, books from Southern Lady publishing on entertaining and tabletops and flowers. Magazines also like Southern Lady, Taste of the South (Not taste of home) Victoria and Tea Time.

On the counter you will find fresh muffins, cookies, croissants, cupcakes, fruitcakes, pies and bagles. Fresh hot coffee (perhaps cappaccino, I'm working on that) and you can take your coffee and muffin and go out on the back deck (20x24) and enjoy your coffee looking at the gardens and reading a magazine or newspaper. There will be a nice fountain and seasonal decor, of course. I want people to LOVE to be here!

Man's world has Salty snacks like Real Virginia peanuts both in a can and in the shell, fresh fruits and vegetables grown localy and in from the Texas Rio Grand Valley, glass bottled cokes, the real can sugar Dr. Pepper from Dublin, TX. Deer corn and fall plot mixes.

A meat counter with actual USDA PRIME BEEF! Yes, it's pricey but it's so difficult to find that I decided we MUST carry it for those who want something special. We'll have delicious smoked link sausage by the pound, and other food items that I'm still working on.

I'm sure there's so much that I'm forgetting! It's a lot especially when you see that the store is so tiny but it will be loaded to the rafters which is what I wanted!

Also, different yes, but I will NOT decorate for Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving! This gives you a reason to come back often to see what is new with the decor and centerpieces and foods.

Thank you all for your interest and please come and see me when we get open! It's going to be nothing if not interesting.

I've got to go paint....again!

Love, Moo!

• anney
    15 years ago

Great, Moo!

I see the concept has fleshed out!

Do East Texans eat boiled peanuts? Might add them to your salty snacks if you haven't included them! Fall is a good time to boil them over a fire in a large black kettle outside. Or a pressure cooker inside if you'd rather speed things up!

To post pictures, go to Photobucket.com and register -- it's free. Then upload your pictures there. They'll appear in an "album". When you want to post a picture here, just click on the html code rectangle (there are several codes given for various uses, but the html code makes the picture show up in your post) and it immediately copies the picture code. Then switch to GardenWeb and paste (Control V) the code into your post where you want it to appear. Put a return before and after your picture.

The preview of your post will show the post and picture as it will appear here.

I'm looking forward to seeing them!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

If you ever decice to expand...come on up to Connecticut.
    I would love to have someplace like that around here!!

Your place sounds absolutely divine! :)

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I just found this thread on a search and wonder how your market is going?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Sunlight Delights

• ladyd53
    14 years ago

Like Moo we will be opening a farm stand. We however are opening the stand on a busy 4 lane highway with an estimated 8 to 10 thousand cars per day. We are located in Moore County NC 3/4 acre lot. With a cinder block home that has served as three restaurants and a beauty shop. Our resounding theme is to support our local growers. We will be carrying jams, jellies and homemade products, bedding plants, as well as fresh produce and all that goes with the ambiance of an ole time produce stand.

I would appreciate any input for a name.