Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

First time lettuce grower

zzackey
10 years ago

Hubby bought a beautiful 9 pack of lettuce from the dollar store today. They must have just arrived. Will lettuce withstand frost?

Comments (11)

• jctsai8b
    10 years ago
  • farmerdill
    10 years ago

Depends on the type. Most will withstand frost, leaf types and some Romaines will tolerate temps around 20 degrees, heading types not so much. Even my Paris Island has taken a beating this winter.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It didn't have a label. It is not a heading lettuce. For some reason he thought it was Romaine.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

My lettuce was doing well, then we had a 2 week cold spell (for CA!) and we got down to about 19* a few mornings. The lettuce is still alive, but the outer leaves were sort of damaged and the other leaves were kind of tough. I trimmed them back, bought some romaine at the store and left it alone for a couple of weeks and it seems to be coming back quite nicely. I also planted a few more starts for insurance. I think we'll be having a lot of salads in the next few months! Nancy

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to grow it from seeds next year. I hope we don't see 19 degrees this year. We had plenty of cold snaps already. 5 weeks until our last frost date. I can't hardly wait!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have sown a flat of lettuce inside my cold frame. Then, when it is the right time, they will germinate. And when that happens, I will transplant them in the garden. This past few days we had another freezing cold snap. So still we are in the middle of winter.
    In GA(North Atl) it is the time to start lettuce in cold frame. I have done it when I was down there.

• Donna
    10 years ago

I have learned some things about lettuce here this winter. For several years, I have planted lettuce in my deck pots in the fall and have eaten them well into winter until they were gone. Usually ran out in December. So this year, I planted lots and lots of seeds in my pots, intending to have a steady supply all winter. Wrong. It has been unusually cold and once January got here, I lost all of them EXCEPT Winter Density. I had planted Nevada, two kinds of Romaine and Winter Density. In January, when it got so cold, I put plastic cloches over all the ones that looked like there still might be hope for them. Even with the cloches, all died in the long lasting cold we've had. Winter Density is the only one left standing. Valuable lesson.

• MarbellaP
    10 years ago

I have the same question. I am new to gardening and with the unusually cold weather that we have, I am really worried that my vegetables will not grow.
    It''s ok to fail but of course, I would love to see the fruits of my labor...literally!

Here is a link that might be useful: Property Marbella

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I've only done leaf lettuces, and have never had a problem with mild frost. Not sure how they stand up to a hard freezes though. We very rarely see one.

I'll stress this again though -- mulch works wonders. And in a pinch, buckets or empty containers at night.

Kevin

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From what a friend told me, we are out of freeze danger. I like the bucket idea, Kevin.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Marbella...advertizing is a no no

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone