Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this damping off?

Posted by delonwheels 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 19:06

I noticed the first leaf of of my onion seedlings drooping yesterday. Today, it has wilted completely. I know that once the cotelydon eventually withers and dies, but I thought that happened after the third true leaf appeared.

Yesterday I was transplanting some shallots from an APS tray and noticed a tiny bit of white mold near the capillary mat. Now I'm nervous about some kind of terrible disease (although the shallots seem to be OK so far).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this damping off?

Looks like perfectly normal growth to me. As new leaves emerge as you have there it is normal for the lower one to be pushed/lay over. I usually snip some of the length of it off just to lessen the weight pulling against the stem.

You can read the FAQ here on Damp-off for more details but it attacks the stem at the soil line.

Over on the Growing from Seed forum there is also a FAQ on the white "mold" (actually a fungus you are seeing and what to do about it.

Dave

o
RE: Is this damping off?

Onion seedlings let go of that first seedling leaf at about the time the second and third true leaves appear. When the seedling leaf starts looking funky I snip it off and remove it. Like Dave, once or twice a week I trim tops and withering leaves, which increases light penetration and keeps the seedlings upright while limiting possible diseases from rotting tissues. I also sprinkle a little dry seed-starting mix around the base of the plants once they are up and growing.

This all gets easier in a few weeks, when you can expose your onion seedlings to natural light in a cold frame. That's when they stiffen up and stop looking so wimpy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here