Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last year's seeds

Posted by LindaLu2222 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 19:09

How long are seeds good? Can I use those left over from last year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last year's seeds

If seed packages are sealed back up and stored in dry and cool [60-75 degree storage, most seeds will keep well for 2 to 5 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed vitality

o

Thank you Wayne you have made my day!!!

o

Or longer. many gardeners regularly use seeds that are 5-10 years old. If they were properly stored they will last for decades. There are a few exceptions like onion seeds.

Check out the FAQ on seed saving and seed storage over on the Seed Saving forum here.

Dave

o

Spinach seeds, too, don't keep well.

o

According to one of the scientists... they managed to grow a plant from 2,000 years old seed. As long as it's stored properly, they can last a long while.

I managed to germinate the pea seeds that were older than me (at that time, I was 20.) But then I'm having a trouble with germinating the spinach seeds after a couple years now.

o

To determine the viability of your seeds, you can take 6 seeds and placed them in a moisten paper towel. Put the towel in a sandwich bag and seal it. place in a warm dark location. Use the germination time for those seeds. Check after a week to see if any germinated. Count the number of seeds if any germinated. That number will give you the percentage of seeds for that pack, that will germinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here