Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bt and svb

Posted by veggievicki 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:20

I've seen a few videos on youtube where bt was injected into the stem of squash vines that had been infested by SVB. The technique was using a large syringe and injected the BT in above the infested area. I was wondering what the life of BT is and if you could periodically inject as a preventative as opposed to waiting until after you've spotted frass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bt and svb

I don't get SVB's but I've heard of BT being used in that manner -- also spinosad.

I use BT as a preventative for cabbage loopers and hornworms. Mainly because I know that they'll eventually come and BT doesn't work nearly as well on older, bigger caterpillars. They tell you to identify first, but I don't have the patience to search an 8' tall tomato plant for something that totally blends into the foliage.

It may cost me more in the long run, but I sleep better using it as a preventative. I'd feel different if BT wasn't so harmless to other beneficials also. I just spray it every 2-3 weeks from the get go and the last few years, no problems with the hornworms.

Kevin

o

I have done it but it wasn't as easy as it sounds. The Bt runs out of the holes in the stem and the stem can be very hard to pierce. However it is a good thing if you logistically can get the job done.

o

It's not too hard as long as you inject enough to run down the stem to where they are feeding. They have to eat some of it, whether you use bt or spinosad.

If you use a small needle, you can also poke it here and there where you think the borers are feeding and kill them that way. You can do this with a long sewing pin, too. After you've performed enough squash autopsies, you know where to poke.

o

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

o

Here in Arkansas it's not a question of if you'll get SVB, it's how many squash you can harvest, if any, before you do. We moved back into town and I just don't have the space for succession planting, so I'm doing as much research as I can to try to keep my originals alive and prospering.

o

I moved back to Missouri 3 years ago. The first year I was to busy to start my garden. The last 2 years though I've lost all of my summer squash. Now I know what the problem is so I can take preventative measures.

o

I moved back to Missouri 3 years ago. The first year I was to busy to start my garden. The last 2 years though I've lost all of my summer squash. Now I know what the problem is so I can take preventative measures.

o

I find the best tool for this is a meat syringe, meant for injecting butter or flavoring liquids into meat before cooking. It has a large bore, a sharp enough end to pierce the stem, and a large capacity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here