Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Is this what my broccoli should look like?

jennieboyer
11 years ago

Hi All,

I'm growing broccoli for the first time, and it seems to be growing well and the heads are developing. But, I'm not sure the heads are developing like they should (at least how they should be in my head...). Is this what they should look like?

Comments (14)

• stuffradio
    11 years ago

No, it has bolted already.

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grrrr. Was afraid of that! Weather here very inconsistent - 40 one day and 80 two days later....

Some plants are just now starting to produce heads. Do those still have a chance?

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grrrr. Was afraid of that! Weather here very inconsistent - 40 one day and 80 two days later....

Some plants are just now starting to produce heads. Do those still have a chance?

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

Broccoli produces side shoots. You can cut the top part and see if more grows. If you leave it alone and it flowers, the plant fulfilled its destiny (to produce seeds) and its done. Mine did the same. Are you in California too?

Here is a link that might be useful: winter vegetables

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope - I'm in south Georgia. Winters here are tough for growing - weather is just sooo unpredictable. Lettuce has done fantastic, but broccol, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc just won't do well for me! I will cut off the bolted stalk tomorrow and see if I can get plant to cooperate! Thanks!

• Christian
    11 years ago

I have the same thing happening on some of my plants here in N. Texas. Also pretty unpredictable. It was 77 degrees this past week, and got to 28 the thursday night.
    I have tried cutting them off but the side shoots are very small and seem to want to bolt quickly also. At least the bees are enjoying the flowers, so that's why I have not pulled up some of my plants.

• glib
    11 years ago

That is why I do not grow broccoli. You have to eat them when they are ready, whether you want broccoli or not. Lettuce, as you say, will be around for weeks. Anyway, those shoots in the picture are no longer prime, but they are edible, and the side shoots will be coming continuously and will give you a longer crop.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Broccoli keeps well in storage, at least.

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

I use the broccoli flowers, after it's bolted, in tossed salads. At least it's not a total waste and it pretties up the greens.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Jennie: There's a fine line between harvesting a head at peak and what happened to you. I'm sure that head was "tighter" at one time, no? If you see the florets starting to separate, pick immediately. It appears THAT head wasn't going to be all that large anyhow. Like glib said, it's still edible though -- although the stalk may be a tad fibrous.

As far as side shoots are concerned, normally they don't get very large at all. But if you have a few plants, you can usually pick enough at a time for a side dish et al. Side shoots tend to start separating a lot faster than the main head, so keep an eye out.

lgteacher: I'm in San Diego and I got heads. The plants and the heads just haven't been that big this season. I think it was a combination of containers(first time, usually I grow in raised beds), a new container mix and a late start in the fall(lack of sunshine and a slowdown in microbial activity). I did do some successive plantings though in the raised beds and they look a lot better.

Kevin

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Again pay attention to variety. De Cicco, Green Sprouting Calabrese and other sprouting type broccoli does not give you market type heads. Broccoli does well here. Concure with edibility at all stages, but it is best when heads are tight. Broccoli also freezes well.

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the follow ups. Yes, this was going to be a small head anyway. I have chopped it off and, when I did, I noticed there is a side shoot with a small head already on that plant. Hoping that one does better! I have several other plants with small heads that look like they might suffer the same fate. Well, maybe I'll just pick them and eat in a salad. Or saute with a little olive oil and garlice like I do broccoli raab.....

Anyone know how likely my cauliflower is to suffer the same fate? I have beautiful plants with no heads yet.....

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Although cauli is more finicky than broccoli, it sounds like you'll get some nice heads-- it's still nice and cool/cold in the U.S. and sometimes all cauli needs is a nice warming trend to kick it into gear for heading. I'm no expert though. However, I have had pretty good success growing both.

What's funny is(from my experience) most cauli has a "supposed" harvest time about a month earlier than most broccolis, but I've noticed it's usually about the same amount of time.

Regarding varieties of broccoli, Marathon worked well for me the past few years. I've also heard good things about Sun King Hybrid. You're probably better off getting advice from farmerdill though. He's in zone 8 and knows more than I do about crops.

Kevin

• Marcia H.
    last year

My broccoli has done that very same thing 2 years in row. I give up.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting