Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Transplanting potatoes

nancyjane_gardener
12 years ago

DH planted some potatoes with antlers (from the organic grocery store) in an area I didn't want them planted. They are nicely sprouted and about 3" tall.

I'd like the taters to be in a couple of large wine barrel sized planters. Easier to sift them out.

Would it be OK to scoop the taters from where they are to the planters?I've never purposely planted taters, just get them from compost, so I don't really know. Any help? Thanks Nancy

Comments (10)

• ncdirtdigger
    12 years ago

If you break off the shoots, they will re sprout, but it will delay your harvest. I think if you use caution you should be OK.

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Exactly ;-)
    Go For it...all that can happen is a possible slight setback !

• carelljones
    12 years ago

Prepare the soil where the potatoes will be transplanted. The soil should be dug up, cleared of rocks and mixed with compost in the fall. Choose a location that is sunny and that is rotational--i.e., not the same place you grew potatoes last year. Rake in fertilizer two weeks before transplanting. The soil's pH level should not be higher than 6.

Harden the soil of potatoes to be transplanted from a greenhouse by placing them outdoors. Start hardening a week before transplanting. Place them outdoors for about one hour the first day, then gradually set them out for longer each day after.

Dig transplant holes in the ground. The holes should be approximately six inches wide and eight inches deep, varying depending on the maturity of the plants and the size of containers they were pre-grown in. The top of the soil of the plant being transplanted should sit at surface of the ground when planted. Make the holes far enough apart that the potatoes will not be overcrowded. Give room to transplants that still have growing to do. Moisten the soil evenly before transplanting.

Dig out potato plants to be transplanted by slicing the soil around the plant with a garden trowel. Dig far enough away from the plant so as to not hit or cut the potato in the ground. Use your hand shovel or a hoe to carefully and gently pry up the plant. Keep it packed in as much soil as possible. Promptly move the plant to its transplant hole.

Remove potatoes grown in a container by placing one hand on the soil and around the plant, turning it upside down and tapping on the bottom of the container. Promptly move them to the transplant holes.

Fill in any gaps in the holes with soil and smooth down the surface of the ground. Do not pack in the soil too tightly. Water thoroughly. Place a layer of mulch around the stems.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all! Nancy

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    12 years ago

"Potatoes with antlers".....never heard of potatoes with sprouts referred to that way, but I love the analogy! Gotta add that to my gardening vocabulary.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It seems that all but one went into the containers with no breakage. Nice big rootballs, well watered and looking good!
    Naturegirl, actually it wasn't a garden term, but a clean out the pantry term! LOL Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops! Had a couple days of frost and they no longer look happy. Will they make a come back? I think it got to 29*.
    Nancy

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Yes, and you will probably get hit with more frost, and it will happen until....and then, they will come up and start flourishing.... at the least, the ground is a great place to "store" your spuds, until it's time ;-)

{{gwi:14264}}

{{gwi:25792}}

• lefeavers
    10 years ago

Tater Antler's. Should we go (gently) forth?

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Looks like a bag of organic potatoes in my basement. Waiting for snow to melt so I can plant.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms