Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hothabanerolady

What's your first seedling?

HotHabaneroLady
10 years ago

My first seedlings of 2014 just peaked above the ground today. They are a trio of mustard greens. Has anyone else had any first seedlings showing up lately?

Comments (12)

• syntria
    10 years ago

My first was I think Silver furr tree Tomato -- and the plant itself is doing good! My Tomatillo's also have done well and sprouted quickly. First year starting so many plants from seed (about 30, got a another 30 germinating right now)

Planted 1/20/14

This post was edited by Syntria on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:16

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Syntria, Have you grown the SILVER FIR TREE tomato before ?
    The reason I am sking this is because I have bough seeds and I will grow it this year. I want to know first hand about it.

I think I will plant it in a bucket.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

First seedlings are always the onions and leeks! I always like watching them grow, the way they look like little green hairpins, then as they unbend but retain the seed coat, little green music notes. A symphony of life. :)

• Deeby
    10 years ago

I like that, Sunnibel !

• HotHabaneroLady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like it too!

But *sigh* I am so impatient waiting on seeds this year. But then I'm starting earlier and during an unusually cold year, so I have to expect them to be slow.

• littlelizzy123
    10 years ago

Red Cippolini and Varsity Onions! :D

• Donna
    10 years ago

I planted Sugar Ann Peas last week and they are starting to germinate under row cover. Also planted carrots and lettuce. No sign of them yet, but that's not unusual. I have kale and collards plus green onions and garlic that have made it through the winter.

That's outside. Inside, I have peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, pentas, rose campion, Centennial Spirit Echinacea, and Yvonne's Salvia up under lights. Zinnias and other bedding flowers will be sown next week, Lord willing. It took its time this year, but spring is busting out all over! It's amazing what sunshine does for your spirits!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

My first seedlings were SHISHITO pepper. I planted (as test) on November 7, 2013. I harvested a lot of peppers from them. But they were getting too big. Yesterday I topped them. For tomatoes, they are Cherokee purple and Siberian. They are about 2" tall now.

• keith100_gw
    10 years ago

My first are broccoli ,they have just today started popping . 128 planted Monday, 69 sprouted as of tonight. Hoping to get 90 to transplant in April.

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

keith100 That's a crazy amount! I don't have that kind of space prepared yet, not that I don't have the space. My Broccoli/Cauliflower/Cabbage can be started on Saturday, so I could probably start any time now.

• keith100_gw
    10 years ago

Last year the wood chuck ate 28 of my broc. plants one day. Crowns were about half size on about a third of the 80 or so plants I had growing. Oddly, he preferred the leaves to the crowns. The 2nd day he ate about 12 more. The third day he must have been getting full he only ate about half of the leaves on another four plants. The next day his luck at avoiding my traps ran out. I was able to harvest several meals in spite of his best efforts to defeat me.(It was close!) I was also able to freeze up a few meals for winter. I share with 3 other households so there was certainly no surplus.

• Anne Wolfley
    10 years ago

Seysonn asked about Silvery Fir Tree tomatoes. I've grown them a couple of times and I love them. I've grown them in a 10-gallon Smart Pot and in the ground, and they did well both ways. I was surprised at how big the tomatoes were with such a little plant. The tomatoes are very tasty and the plants themselves are really beautiful, with their unusual leaves.

-Anne

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner