Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

FINALLY some rain!

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

Severe drought here in No Cal! But the last few days we have finally received about 6"!!!!! Local flooding, but that's OK!
There's no way we will catch up to the normal of about 25", but at least we have more storms coming in on the Pineapple express!
What cracked me up, was that even though we were way short on rain last year, they didn't declare a "DROUGHT" until a couple of weeks ago, then they announced it like it was a big surprise!
I think it's different for "townies" who have water flowing as opposed to us in the country who have to rely on wells. I think we pay more attention! No offense to you "townies"!
Anyway, happy rain to us in CA!!!!!! Nancy

Comments (13)

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

I'm with you Nancy!

But to be honest, I am looking forward to a little break so I can spend some more time outside.

Also, I got a cow a couple of months ago, and she is messing up the pasture sinking in to this mud.

--McKenzie

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

Glad to hear it!

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    10 years ago

One happy "townie". In fact, my lot is the furthest lot technically IN the town, because of my fears of the whole well thing. Also the highest lot, so we don't flood like many around here do/did.

Best wishes.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HA!!!! The local paper reported how many FEET instead of inches of rain!
    That was pretty crazy! Our river area gets at least twice as much rain as us on the plains!.....But it was great! 1 1/2 FEET of rain in the river area with no flooding! About 8" here! I'll take it! Nancy

• Deeby
    10 years ago

I wish we'd get a few inches, but we won't. I feel guilty using the hose !
    More than anything, I wish it would get warm and stay warm. This is the first time that cold weather has really bothered me. I used to welcome fall and winter. Not anymore ! Getting old, I guess.

• insteng
    10 years ago

Congratulations, I know what you are going through. We have had a severe drought here for the last couple years until it finally broke this year.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Drought must be horrendous for you. I'm glad you have had some rain at last.

Meanwhile - we have plenty to spare.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:26110}}

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh MY, Floral! Been there also! Nancy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Come to the PNW area, we've got rain, rain and more rain, 9 months of the year. It will continue till mid May or so. Right now the forecast shows rain for as long as it can be forecasted.(Grin).

I would trade this rain to some sunshine.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 5:46

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Actually, "they" have been reporting on the drought all along, from the US Drought monitor's page. It just took the news a while to notice, when the drought surpassed historic levels.

Here is a link that might be useful: US drought map

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ltilton... Oh I know! The local stations have been talking about it for over a year, but it didn't become "official" until last month!When the "officials" made the declaration!
    We've been in drought mode for a year now! We actually never really went out of it from the 1978 drought!
    AAAAaand they want us to cut back watering by 20%! How do you cut back when you are already cutting back???? Same for the electric bill! I'm already the "light nazi!"
    Thankfully, I have a well and use what I want to! Nancy

• ltilton
    10 years ago

You don't worry about your well?

I do, tho the well guys say I shouldn't have to.

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

I am on a well, too. Seems to be a good one. There is also a creek on the property boundary. It is just a trickle during summer, but it doesn't quite dry up.