Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick_merlander

Is a Tower Garden really worth $500

rick_merlander
11 years ago

I am considering buying a Tower Garden (towergarden.com). I've heard great reports that you can grow lots of vegetables with little time and maintenance and of course very little space. Anyone tried one for awhile -like a year or more?
- Are they really any less likely to have pest problems?
- Are there any problems or difficulties with these, or are they really worth the $500.
- Has anyone seen a similar product so I can test the concept out without having to spend $500 just to see if vertical growing in a liquid medium is terrific or not?
Rick Merlander - Molokai, Hawaii

Comments (19)

• Aindra
    11 years ago

I believe you may get better, experienced answers at Hydroponics forum because I see the aeroponics also covered there.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

I'm sure they will be less likely to have slugs or get browsed by rabbits.

Worth $500? If you are very limited on space, maybe.

• rick_merlander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That sounds like a pretty simple and effective system. The picture you posted looks like a great system also, who makes that?

• ltilton
    11 years ago

That was my first reaction, too. Sounds like something you could make yourself for a fraction of the price.

• lunar_owl
    11 years ago

Or buy something very similar (and cheaper)...
    http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-International-Tower-of-Flowers/dp/B007JWZT44/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_1

I'm thinking of getting one for some herbs and/or berries.

• DeeLucas
    11 years ago

We've had tower garden's for years. we loved them so much so that we now have an entire greenhouse using the same technology (see www.livingtowers.com). Feel free to contact us if you have any questions!

• rick_merlander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow!! I went to your website and looked at the gallery pictures, and that is an amazing set-up to be sure! Thanks a lot!

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I saw 50 vegetable garden for 249.00. It is basically hanging pots If you good with wood work and have some tools you can make your own. I made a nice green house it does not look professional but it works.
    Abe

• rick_merlander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hanging pots is an interesting idea - will take a look at that too. Thanks.

• bluebirdie
    11 years ago

Not sure if you'd entertain a single tier trial. There's Earthtainer by Raybo. With some herbs on the earth level and some climbers, it can mimic multi-layer with a much more reasonable cost. Will that work for your case as a starting point? Just search for earthtainer on Gardenweb :-)

• rick_merlander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took a look at the earthtainer and the Earth Box as well. I like the idea of a single tier system as a test case, but still looking at the particulars of this one to see if it would work. Thanks for the idea!

• scubastan
    11 years ago

I've been a hydroponic hobbyist for over 5 years now. I grow all my melon and tomato plants hydroponically. But for all my other vegetables I just use containers or raised beds.

I was at a farmers market not to long ago and saw this lady selling the tower system. I thought it was a very nice commercially designed tower until I saw the price tag. I think you would be better off with the Earthtainer.

1. In terms of Pests the only real pest you avoid are soil born pest. Any pest that you would have in an outdoor garden such as aphids, spidermites, catepillars will still exist.

2. The difficulty will be controlling the nutrient solution. Depending on your water supply the PH level can/will change very rapidly. Once your PH levels are off your plants will suffer. If you stick to their 1tier system and not their extended tube system then the resevoir is large enough to provide a decent buffer from PH swings. But if you use their extended sytsem your PH levels will swing often and quickly. Every time your PH levels change you have to add PH down or PH up solution, mix the solution, test the solution. If you are still off you have to repeat.

3. If you are interesting in growing your own vegetables just to supplement what you currently buy, I would suggest an Earthtainer. Its a nice passive hydroponic system you can purchase or construct.

If you interested in tinkering with hydroponics you can try a system called "DWC" which only requires a 20gallon rubbermaid tote with lid, an aquarium pump and air stone, your nutrients and testing supplies.

• rick_merlander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot for the perspective and especially the alternatives. Right now, I'm thinking of trying something like one or the other of the systems you suggest before considering trying the $500 Tower system. Your points are well taken.

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

Here's an alternative option for you: The five gallon bucket with multiple grow holes. It appears you can stack these as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBh1fjMqjmI

I suppose one could modify it into a hydro system. I was going to try this method using soil and 14-litre clear plastic water jugs. I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for a grow tower. Save your money and get creative.

• rick_merlander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Prettty fascinating video, and it is hard to beat free for the price. Thanks for the suggestion!

Richard Merlander - Molokai

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    3 years ago

Its lots more than $500 now. Plus the Y tube guy" GROW your own greens guy") talked about salts forming since nutrients are chemical synthetics Just chiming in cause I was seriously considering such and was about to order. But if it was like 3 for $500 might have considered

• Don V Zone 5-6 Cleveland OH
    3 years ago

patio pickers from lowes or depot worked amazing for me this year and are cheap. Really amazing.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    3 years ago

Ah I wanted to try indoors this winter in south facing big windows and plenty of light and lights available for supplementing like salt greens

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks