Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian green beans...

Posted by cream_please z5 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 22:09

are one of my favorites:

are they hard to grow?

my bush beans were prolific last summer...do Italian green beans grow in similar conditions?

TIA

Cream

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian green beans...

No, they are no harder than other green beans. There are Romanos which grow in bush form and there are those that grow in pole form.

You might check in on the beans and legumes forum for more suggestions. But I know that Sandhill Preservation Center has both Jeminez and Uncle Steve's Pole (both pole varieties) which are spoken of very highly by many. Someone on that forum could probably point you to a bush Romano (Italian) bean.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation Center Beans

o

I find that there is a flavor difference between the bush and the pole Romano Italian beans. I prefer the flavor of the pole variety.

I've constructed a series of arches connected with interwoven 6' bamboo poles to support the Romanos. They hang in clusters and are easy to harvest. When well grown, they are prolific. Seeds are usually readily available in local stores.

I've been growing Romanos for well over twenty years and wouldn't consider not growing them. I love green beans and also grow Blue Lakes bush, Triomphe de'Farcy (French) and Oriental winged beans or asparagus benas.

o

I'd second Uncle Steve's Italian Pole bean from Sand Hill. It is my absolute favorite bean. You might also check out Franchi Seeds (distributed by Grow Italian). They have several varieties directly from Italy.

Bellatrix

Here is a link that might be useful: Franchi Seeds

o

I really like Roma II bush beans. I grew the pole Romano from Burpee last year and was rather dissapointed at the pod size. They were no bigger than, and maybe slightly smaller than, the Roma II bush. I grew them next to two other pole varieties which did fine so I don't think there were any problems with the conditions. I have a feeling that this is not typical of the variety and that they may have a problem with their bean seed not being produced carefully, meaning it is producing too many "off-type" beans.

I'll probably try a different pole romano next year - I've decided this year to try as many kinds of purple pole beans as I can fit in the garden this year to see if there's anything better than my current favorite pole variety which is Violet-podded Stringless. So far I've found Trionfo Violetto and Blauhilde. I know there's at least one other type in the catalogs I have too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here